Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear ????

Options
Ok,so when reverse searing a steak does the initial indirect part of the cook need to use a stone (true indirect) or will a raised grid give the same end result?
I have seen some reverse sears done raised grid on the AR without the stone then seared down low on the spider.I guess the result would be the same with or without the stone?
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I think you can do either way. Raised , just go lower temp and cook for a while keeping flames down then drop down in the end for the sear @ high temp.

I did cast iron, stone, grid. Cooked @ 400 indirect remove stone and grid and the cast iron was ready to go in minutes.
    Seattle, WA
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I would guess that you can do it either way, but I do CI grid, PS legs up, regular grid as my setup.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    For a reverse sear, I do indirect for the first part of the cook (Platesetter).  Then take the PS out and drop down close to the coals for the sear.  
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    For a reverse sear, I do indirect for the first part of the cook (Platesetter).  Then take the PS out and drop down close to the coals for the sear.  
    +1
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Generally either do indirect on grill or water immersion for the low cook, then toss on for a high temp sear.
    I have loved the reverse sear method, altho am gonna try the Trex also.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)