Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breakfast on the new mini

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
Waited patiently all week, for Sat morning. Time to cook up some breakfast.

Started by dusting a turkey chub with DP Cow Lick. Tried the + for the first time and it worked great.

Pulled the fattie when it was 175ish. I got distracted doing something inside and it cooked about 10-15°F more than i wanted it too. Oh well. On to the biscuits. Pulled the + and went raised direct with the new pizza stone (come as a pair from Amazon). Switching took less than 10secs, no gloves needed.

Things slowly continue to unravel at this point. Got distracted inside again, and the temp went up to 450. Shut everything down, and tried to wait for it to cool, but you know how that goes. Put the first biscuits on (store bought) and they burned because the stone was too hot. Got to them in time and flipped them. They were edible but definitely on the well-done side.

Remaining biscuits from the package went on parchment paper, so they fared better (no pic). Took the stone off and put a CI skillet on the grid for 2 eggs sunny side up.

Then we ate, since we were starving, so no plated pics (sorry). Overall, it was a fun first real cook on the mini. Mediocre results IMO, because
1. Turkey fatties are not meant to be
2. Should have stuck with my original plan of drinking beer outside hanging with the mini instead of trying to be uber-productive and multitask this morning.

We still enjoyed a nice Sat morning breakfast though, and I always enjoy that. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Freakin' A man.  What a way to start the day. AWESOME
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Whats a turkey chub?

Was cazzy cooking with you----

caliking said:

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    @MCN: No... I'm a big boy now. I jacked up the biscuits all by myself. A turkey chub is a roll of ground turkey... kinda like a Jimmy Dean sausage roll. Leaner, but not as tasty.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    @caliking - The Mini really is so much fun. Of course, like all things, there is a learning curve. I found it to be different from the LBGE during the lighting and heating up process. Now, however, it is like clockwork. 

I have two cast iron skillets from my late grandmother that I believe even her mother owned about the time of Noah's Ark. They are so smooth and shiny on the inside, I too should do some eggs on the Mini.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • caliking
    @Springram: I'm jealous of your heirloom skillets. I love cooking with cast iron. There's a lot of family history in those 2 pieces.

And yeah, breakfast was below par partly because the mini is very responsive to small adjustments, more so than my other eggs. Ya live, ya learn :)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I got distracted doing something inside

Taking care of your handle?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Try cooking biscuits in the cast iron skillet sometime. I don't know why but damn they seem a lot better.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    henapple said:
    I got distracted doing something inside Taking care of your handle?
    I was drilling a hole to put a ball on a bolt... that sounds completely wrong  :-t

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Next time you do biscuits use pie tin or small CI comal.  Set up: PStone,  small cooling rack then the CI comal.  The air layer will help to prevent scorching the bottom.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Whats a turkey chub?

Was cazzy cooking with you----
    LMAO...since when did I become known for burning things?  Aren't you thinking about Mickey? lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    For the record Cali, I like a lil "char" on my biscuits.  I'd love to see a sliced pic of your turkey fattie!  Looks awesome!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    @cazzy: the biscuits weren't too bad actually. Saved in the nick of time. Forgot to take pics of the fattie. I should have pulled it off at 160-165°F IT, then it would have been more moist than it was.

@Austin Egghead: thanks for that tip! What kind of cooling rack do you use? I have a CI fajita plattter (round, 9", Lodge) would that work? Should it be pre-heated in the mini or does it go in cold with the biscuits on it?

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2013
    Grid extender mod for the mini? I did m y first 2 tier cook today just placed the 2nd grid on top

BTW I was kidding I think Austin egghead has the grid mod with bolts, I'm just lazy so I played it on top and it worked. Room is scarce on the mini not much raising or extending is possible.
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Trial and error is what its all about. I like that you posted it, other eggheads such as myself can learn lots from people posting cooks that didn't go as originally planned. The smaller eggs defiantly respond to minor adjustments quicker and need to be adjusted once a good amount of food goes in and brings the temp down. I finally have it down on my small, but have been cooking on my large more these days so I'll probably need to pay a little more attention next mobile dinner party! 

Nice to see the mini added to you awesome collection of outdoor cooking devices! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

@cali the mini has always intrigued me. When I see it at the dealer, it is so tiny. Yet y'all post of its formidable powers and capabilities.

I guess I really need to see one in action. I love your presentation. Super! I would eat those "carmalized" bisks in a heartbeat.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    @Austin Egghead: thanks for that tip! What kind of cooling rack do you use? I have a CI fajita plattter (round, 9", Lodge) would that work? Should it be pre-heated in the mini or does it go in cold with the biscuits on it?
    Comal and fajita platter the same thing.  Standard cake cooling rack from BBY.  I would not preheat either the CI or pie tin, but I would spray the CI with a little pam.  This way the biscuits cook evenly.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    @Solson005: I'm not immune to vanity or pride, but the first cook on the mini just had to be posted! :)

@Aviator: you would be surpised how much the little bugger can do. Google magic mini moments for some cool videos of the mini's prowess.

@Austin Egghead: thank you for the expert tips. I haven't done much baking/breads on my eggs, but I want to.