Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HEB Fajitas in Alaska

Options
I usually just cook em direct and they're always great. I'm interested in trying a low and slow today and finish with a sear in a 600°+ CI skillet. Anyone have any experience smoking these. I'm thinking around 250° for 2-4 hours but I'd rather have a better idea of the time from someone that's done this. Also, smoke time on Elgin sausage @ same temp too? Thanks in advance
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tough as nails. Don't smoke skirt steak. grill it fast. trust me on this one.....
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    Will do. How about the snausages? Also, I've never really grilled on the egg...only low & pizzas. Is it better to egg the fajitas over my char broil gasser or even any difference? If so, what temps?

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    +1 on hot and fast!

I'd gook the sausage the same way as the skirt.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,960
    edited May 2013
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    Will do. How about the snausages? Also, I've never really grilled on the egg...only low & pizzas. Is it better to egg the fajitas over my char broil gasser or even any difference? If so, what temps?

do the sausages at like 300 raised direct if you can. If not, normal gris d is fine, just have to watch them so they don't burn on one side. When they are done, pull them and wrap in foil to keep warm. Let the temp come up to 500 and grill the skirt steak. Then enjoy a delicious TX meal in Alaska
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, folks

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

hoofaloos said:

Will do. How about the snausages?
    Also, I've never really grilled on the egg...only low & pizzas. Is it better to egg the fajitas over my char broil gasser or even any difference? If so, what temps?

do the sausages at like 300 raised direct if you can. If not, normal gris is fine, just have to watch them so they don't burn on one side. When they are done, pull them and wrap in foil to keep warm. Let the temp come up to 500 and grill the skirt steak. Then enjoy a delicious TX meal in Alaska

Okay, or do that. Lmao
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    hoofaloos said:

do the sausages at like 300 raised direct if you can. If not, normal gris is fine, just have to watch them so they don't burn on one side. When they are done, pull them and wrap in foil to keep warm. Let the temp come up to 500 and grill the skirt steak. Then enjoy a delicious TX meal in Alaska
    Okay, or do that. Lmao
    You can do them either way but if you go too hot, it will burst the casings allowing all the goodness to seep out. If you go a little slower and higher, you can warm them (they are fully cooked) without bursting the casings
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    Just checked on what i pulled out of the freezer last night after a few too many and it was the HEB pork fajitas and not skirt.  Does this change anyone's opinion of going low and slow?