Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Just picked up a cooking stone and pizza peel for my xl egg. Do any of you make your own crusts or use pre-made crusts for your pie?

Comments

• SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited May 2013
    Options
    It's my impression that many posters here make their own crust. My wife and I have a simple recipe we use that requires at least an hour of rise and a few minutes of rest after dividing, if you'd like it.

Full disclosure: it's a conventional oven crust, but it worked really well for us on the Egg.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Kasey595
    Kasey595 Posts: 20
    Options
    I would appreciate the crust recipe for sure Saturday
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I am pretty sure this is a Bobby Flay recipe, actually, but it's what we've used for a while now:

3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
    2 T kosher salt
    1 T sugar
    1 pkg. activated dry yeast
    2 T olive oil
    1 1/2 C warm water (110*F, and yes, I use the Thermapen to check).

Mix dry ingredients together, including yeast. As mixer runs, add oil and water and mix until dough is a big, cohesive softball. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to sit at room temperature for at least an hour.

On a counter lightly dusted with flour, divide dough into halves and roll into balls. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes. Roll out and form into crusts, over a generous scattering of cornmeal, on a pizza peel. Top as you wish.

• Kasey595
    Options
    Thanks for the tip
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @Kasey595: glad I could help. If you want to experiment, there are some guys here who do the classic Neapolitan "00" flour crust, and I'm sure you can find their recipes, too.

• Kasey595
    Options
    In time I may want to do that but for now I am looking for the easy way
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    here is what I use.  its pretty good look through some of zippylips dough recipes he also has a solid deep dish one.  also if you don't have a scale they help a ton, baking is a science so you need precise measurements.

HERE is the like to the dough i use.  i like to let it go for 3-4 days in the fridge.
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Are you sure that it is 2 tablespoons instead of teaspoons of salt?
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Good catch on my drunk mistake, @sharhamm!

@Kasey595, please use TEASPOONS of salt and sugar. My bad.

• micheggin
    micheggin Posts: 39
    Options
    if you want to keep it simple...
    walmart "great value" brand pizza crust mix that you mix with 1/2 cup of hot water is quick and simple.  we use this mix and make it with an extra splash of water which makes it nice for thin crust pizza's.  after i'm done mixing i drizzle liberally with olive oil.  works great!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Make yourself a double batch of dough -- because you will want it again in the next week --  and the dough gets better with time in the refrig...