Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese Steak Calzones w/ Blue Cheese and Wine Sauce

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050

First of all, I cannot even begin to articulate my appreciation for all of our active military and veterans out there.  May God bless each and every one of you, as well as your families.  Let us never forget.

To kick off this Memorial Day weekend, my wife and I decided to do something a little bit different.  We had Pizza Dough and a Flat Iron Steak in the freezer and we decided to take both out last night.  I remembered seeing a post on another forum about the "million dollar cheese steak" that included a sauce made out of Blue Cheese, Heavy Cream and White Wine.  So I put my own twist on things and whipped this up...Cheese Steak Calzones with a Blue Cheese and Wine Sauce.

First up was the Flat Iron Steak.  I seasoned it with Truffled Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper. 

While I waited for the Steak to rest, I sautéed some Portobello Mushrooms and Onions to go inside the Calzones as well.

I also whipped up a Blue Cheese and Wine Sauce concoction.  It was killer!  :)  I started with a Sauce Pan with EVOO that was heated to medium to medium high.  Then added in one big crushed clove of fresh Garlic.  Let that get happy for a minute or two, then added in 2 TBSP of Pinot Grigio.  Let that simmer for a couple minutes, then added in 1 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream.  Once that came up to a simmer, I seasoned it with some S&P.  Then I added 6 ounces of Crumbled Blue Cheese and 1/3 cup freshly grated Mozzarella and stirred until it mostly melted.  At this point, I took the pot off the burner and allowed the Cheese mixture to cool to room temp before adding it to the Calzone.

Brushed the top of the Calzones with an Egg Wash mixture before placing them on the BGE.

And right before they were finished, I sprinkled on some Truffled Sea Salt to finish them off.

These were freaking amazing and will be repeated!  :D  My wife said she could have eaten the Blue Cheese Sauce with a spoon.  I'd have to agree.  :D

Comments