Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many Boston Butts needed?

stuckman
stuckman Posts: 11
I'm cooking some Boston Butts for a graduation party next weekend.  I expect I'll need 80 servings of pulled pork.  How many pounds of boston butt (uncooked) will I need to buy from my local grocery store?  Thanks!!!

Stuck 

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Someone that does catering on one of the forums once gave me this formula:

# of people, divided by 2.4 = raw lbs. of pork.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    age and breakdown a guest will help a lot... I've done 16 lbs of butt  (raw) for 30 men.  so your looking at around 5-6 8 lbs butts in my book.  

There are some caterers on here that can help more.  I would have to do at least 5 plus good sides. 

XLBGE 
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    I would think you need 5 butts that are about 8 lbs. raw. That will yield around 20-24 lbs. cooked which means about a 1/4 lb per person. That is plenty if you have enough sides. If you have big eaters and enough room might as well do 6. MCN hit the nail on the head.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Agreed with what everybody else has said.  Did about 25 pounds of raw for about 40 adults and that worked and had leftovers, but probably 10-15 of those people were over the age of 75 so not really big eaters. The kids got hot dogs off of the egg which still had plenty of fuel to warm those hot dogs up after a 20 hour cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I would say ... A hell of alot should do it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @scottborasjr

aint that awesome! I usually have something to cook after a low and slow.  All you gotta do is open the vent and pretty soon you are choking it back!!! Egg is great!

XLBGE