Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What to coat my new table with?

Hey guys. I just built a new table for my egg out of cedar and I have no idea what to coat it with. I like the looks of the natural cedar, would just some urethane do the trick? What kind of urethane do I need? Thanks for the help and I will post pictures when it's all done!
NW IOWA
·

Comments

• onelikearockonelikearock Posts: 115
    I used a marine grade varnish over cherry
    Chesapeake, VA
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,557
    Helmsman spar urethane supposed to be good.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,275
    What canman said. Sand between the three coats on top. Be sure to get 2 coats on the bottom.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 574
    The bottom as in the bottom shelf or underneath the shelves?
    NW IOWA
    ·
  • berndcrispberndcrisp Posts: 768
    both and the posts (uprights) or just say all of it.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 598
    All sides of the wood should be treated the same. This includes sanding to the same grit and applying the same number of coats. This will help prevent warping in the future.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • trip150trip150 Posts: 29
    General finishes exterior 450. Bought at woodcraft. It set into the wood instead of on top of it (wont peel or chip), has UV protection, and lasts a long time. I used it on my redwood table and it worked great.
    ·
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 574
    I went with the Helmans spar urethane. Just got it stained (changed my mind) and ill do the first coat of urethane in the morning!
    NW IOWA
    ·
  • 2nd on the Helmans Spar.  Great stuff.
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    edited June 2013
    My table has a coating of grease and soot.  Seriously.

My only advice is to use plenty of poly or your table with get funky and grimy (like mine!).
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 598
    Do the underside also to minimize warping in the future.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I varnished mine with marine varnish it holds up great 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    I'm currently in the midst of a table build for a friend. His will be treated with Sikkens Door and Window. 3 coats on all surfaces. His table is made out of white oak with a mahogany stain.

image.jpg 743.3K
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,055
    Very nice...he must be a good friend!

Last thing I built for outdoors was a TV case.  I used a marine epoxy then a spar urethane to protect the epoxy from UV.  So far it's holding up great.

·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    Thanks, @nolaegghead. Yes, he's a good friend. I've known him since I was 10. The planer and jointer have been getting a workout. Still need to make doors and a drawer as well as glue on the face frame and install the rear panel. Definitely not a cheap table, but it should last a long time. So far he has about $700 in it. It will get a concrete top to finish it all off. I'll post pictures when it's done later this week.

I chose the door and window stain because it will just need roughed up with a sander to apply additional coats of stain in the future. They also make a clear semi gloss product that can be used as the third coat.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • ambrodskyambrodsky Posts: 18
    edited June 2013
    I finished mine with satin Helmsman spar urethane. I did refinish the surface again this year, but the initial treatment was 3 coats last year plus one more this year.

·
  • Wow--a dually table, first one of those I have seen.
    ·
  • ambrodskyambrodsky Posts: 18
    Felt dually wheels were necessary because the wheels wanted to tilt towards the legs when I rolled the table around the patio.  Also, I thought it looked good too!
    ·