Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of the digit looking for input

I'm thinking of purchasing the digiq does it really handle the vents to keep the temp in check? I'm super interested in this thing but would like to hear some stories from the field
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    It really works well.

I have found after years of egging that I don;t have much need for it unless I am not planning on being anywhere near the egg.

DigiQ is great for low and slows.  Often times I will light it up.. set the DigiQ and go to work for 10 hours. I would not do this without the Digiq
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42
    Get the wifi model. I have a digiq and have used it a couple of times with great results but would rather have the wifi model.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have had the DigiQ for three years.  Burnt one set of probes up, my fault!!  I use it for certain cooks to allow me to turn my back and do whatever, while the unit keeps an eye on my temperatures.  There are others that have wi-fi ??  I don't need that since i turbo cook and never cook overnight.  It works for me.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I personally don't see the need for it. I just did a 15 hour cook a d the temp stayed at 250 the entire time. It did creep to 280 at the end, but not worth it in my opinion. When I first bought my egg I wanted a temp controller. The price kept me from buying one. This forced me to learn how to control the egg the old fashioned way.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I personally don't see the need for it. I just did a 15 hour cook a d the temp stayed at 250 the entire time. It did creep to 280 at the end, but not worth it in my opinion. When I first bought my egg I wanted a temp controller. The price kept me from buying one. This forced me to learn how to control the egg the old fashioned way.
    @cortguitarman I totally understand what you are saying about controlling the egg the old fashion way.  I have had a BGE for 16 years and I can control it that way also, but the DigiQ is pretty much a foolproof way to hit the mark.  I set it and then go to work and come home "knowing" it will be on the mark.

My son has my old BGE and I told him he had to learn how to do control the temp manually before he got a guru.  Sorta like learning to drive with a clutch before you get an auto trans
    :D
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I too have been entertaining the idea of getting one...leaning toward the Wifi one. Curious as to what powers them, are the battery powered or plug in?
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Love mine :)  Haven't had it long but did a boston butt on it and put it on overnight.  woke up a couple times to check it but didn't need to.  finally just went to bed for the rest of night and sure enough, temperature was just fine the next morning.