Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing brisket

Options
Do you lose any quality in terms of tenderness if you freeze and then thaw a brisket in its cryo? Yes I know they are frozen when sent to the grocery store, but my question relates to an extra freezing and thawing. I guess does that extra stress on the meat have any noticeable impact on tenderness? Just asking cause the Kroger ad this week has em at $0.99 a lb and I thought I might pick up a few extra.

Comments

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I have done it.  Maybe it was my imagination but I didn't think it was as good as fresh.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    There may be a slight degradation but at that price-go for it!  Great deal!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    most of them do not come frozen to the store. they can stay 4-6 weeks in cryo. you'll lose a little but not enough to worry about. I say go for it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Cuda1965
    Cuda1965 Posts: 71
    Options
    That's a good price, so I'd go for it. Like others have said, you might lose a little quality, but not too much.

The overall value will also depend on the grade of the cut (select/choice/prime)
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Cuda1965 said:

The overall value will also depend on the grade of the cut (select/choice/prime)

Yes, it didn't say that in the ad. I'm going to go check it out. In the past, I've gotten Choice from Kroger so I'm hoping that's what it is.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yes, it didn't say that in the ad. I'm going to go check it out. In the past, I've gotten Choice from Kroger so I'm hoping that's what it is.

actually, that is a smoking hot deal for any grade. buy it. i've done tons of good select briskets. Even if it turns out a little dry, you can sauce it, chop it and have the best chopped beef sandwiches you've ever had in your life. i would buy 5 of them if i had the room.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Well they were select and had a limit of two and required a $10 additional purchase. Still a good deal.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    they are losing their arse on those.total lost leader to get you in the door. That's a great deal. I haven't seen a brisekt below $2.79 in 5 years