Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Headed Step Child - Woes of a Medium Owner

When my wife sent on a scavenger hunt Christmas morning leading me to find my brand new Egg strapped into the front seat of her car like a newborn child, I couldn't have been happier.  I've done some of the best cooks of my life ever since.  But I knew early on that I wanted more space; if I only had the large...

After all the talk about the Adjustable Rig, I went onto the site only to find it's not available for the medium :(.  After all the talk about the Baking Steel, I checked out the site this morning hoping this would be the solution to creating a mini Italian style pizza oven inside the Egg, only to find it won't fit :(.  I guess I could cut it down to fit, but I hate the thought of hacking up a brand new piece of equipment.

Had to blow off some steam; it just seems the Medium is limited to accessories, frustrating!  At least I have the option of a Woo and a Wok, can't complain too much, unless the subject of WGWW availability comes up :)

Comments

• stranny00
    stranny00 Posts: 36
    I feel your pain. I just upgraded to a large and it was worth every cent. I only had the medium for a year. I was able to sell my medium and eggcessories for the cost of a large. I then obviously had to buy a bunch of new stuff and build a new table, but like I said.. WORTH IT.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I took two eggs, large and medium, after a house fire to our temporary home. The medium saw the bulk of the work. It was may favourite but I agree on the limited choices in aftermarket stuff. That is it in my avatar

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I had the same issues. You can get a custom round baking steel but it will be around 90 bucks for a 13 inch steel. If you had a reasonable metal fabricator(I don't) you can do something like @caliking did with his "tuff guy" steel since the baking steel is A36 steel and widely available. I tried to get something made for my medium(a metal ring) and the place wanted $225 for labor on 20 bucks worth of steel(hence the "reasonable" comment). CGW said he was releasing a medium and small swing grate "soon" 3 months ago(I saw the demo on another forum in December) but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I know have the large after my dome mishap but I do miss the medium. Probably because it was my first egg, but also because I could do most things just not everything and not as much. I hope the grid extender solves some issues with that for you. I know it would have for me.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Just explain to your wife that with a second egg(large) you could also be cooking the sides where all she had to do is set the table and eat!!  Let her think about that for a couple of days -- you may have another passenger for Memorial Day ???
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    If you want a baking steel, go to a Fab shop/ steel supply place and have them cut one for you. Some places will try to make you buy a whole big sheet if steel, but my place only charged me by weight. If you just get the steel disc it should be pretty reasonable. Rolling rims and such will be pricey.

Depending on what you need, you may be able to homebrew a few things without too much effort or expense. But I agree that the best accessory for a medium is a large. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    edited May 2013
    Or a mini if space is not an issue :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated!  The best way to deal with sorrow is power through, so I have a rack of ribs on now and should be ready for dinner :)

As for the custom steel, that's a great suggestion and should have a few contacts that could make that happen!

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Love my medium.  Buy a platesetter and get creative at home depot.

I have all the goodys for my XL but medium is still my go to egg.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226

@ CigarSmikinEgger   Have a Medium?? Check this out!!

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1320506&catid=1

XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sell medium. Get large/mini combo. Done.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • sancho65 said:
    Now that looks promising, thanks!