Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead that went BIG

Options
Hello to everyone at the Forum. I have been lurking for about 2 months now and decided to join as I finally purchased my XL Egg!! From my readings on the forum I also picked up quite a few toys to go with it... Like all that I could possibly think of!  I have everything ordered, but nothing has started to show up yet!

XL Big Green Egg
Sealed Green Egg Table
Thermapen
Platesetter
Adjustable Rig / Woo2 Customer combo with all the options selected
Open Bar ring (coal reducer)
Ang-L Brackets (coal reducer)
half moon and 17.5" stones (I got this and the platesetter so I could do pizzas, using both or indirect with either)
Eggware Stainless Steel chimney cap
High-Que high heat Gasket (I don't plan to even install the stock gasket)
Grill Grates
19" Wok
18" Drip Pan
16x20 Oval Stainless Grid
Tel-Tru replacement Dome Thermometer (both, the higher temp and the lower temp one)
2 half moon CI grid
Looftlighter
Ash Tool
Welding and meat gloves
Third Hand
Three Finger
Wiggle Rod
A near full set of Griswold Cast Iron skillets (already owned these)

Now I'm debating between a Stoker and the CyberQ wifi.  

Next summer we are doing a major addition to my home and will be adding an 840ft screened in porch with outdoor kitchen built in. At that time I may add a small green egg to this one and I'll definitely be adding a couple of stove eyes, a crawfish boiler and a sink/fridge with LOTS of counter space! Thank you all for the help you have given me without even knowing it!! I'm looking forward to learning how to perfect my low and slows now that I graduated to a big boy setup from my junk grills of the past.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Welcome That is quite the list. Hope you remembered charcoal :)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    You bring a whole new meaning to "go big"!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SeeingSpots
    SeeingSpots Posts: 151
    Options
    Don't forget Mangrates.  They are a must have!
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Nice!  I hope everything works out ok in your divorce settlement :P.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Yeah... My fiance got me the Egg for my Birthday.. The rest is just my excessiveness at work.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Egghead123SC
    Options

Wow, hate to see the final tally on that pricelist.  The only thing missing is a meat injector--might as well buy the spitjack magnum primo edition:

http://spitjack.com/category/MEAT-BRINE-INJECTORS.html

• Thatgrimguy
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Aren't they basically the same thing as Grill Grates?
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    With all that stuff coming in; you need to change your name.... no reason at all to be grim with that potential set up
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Welcome.  The fiance probably knows she will have to cook less and have great food to boot.  I got my second XL less than 4 months after I bought my first one.  Once your friends and neighbors smell and hear about your egg, you will be cooking for tons of people. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    IS there a High-Que fire grate for the XL?  Or is one even necessary for long low and slows?
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    You might invest in an Armed Guard Service for your outside kitchen!! :D   Welcome, did you have any money left over for a camera?? :P
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Aren't they basically the same thing as Grill Grates?
    Shhh... don't tell anyone...

Read THIS. Bask in the glory that is Mangrates!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    IS there a High-Que fire grate for the XL?  Or is one even necessary for long low and slows?
    I have heard it is not. You can always get an 18 inch weber grid to perform the same function. It is just not as thick.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have the XL fire grates with the 3/4 inch holes and have never had an issue with airflow.  The newer and replacement firegrates for the XL with 1/2 inch holes tend to clog a little easier but most likely will not be a problem.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    I have the XL fire grates with the 3/4 inch holes and have never had an issue with airflow.  The newer and replacement firegrates for the XL with 1/2 inch holes tend to clog a little easier but most likely will not be a problem.
    Could I use a strong bit and open up the holes a little wider if it's ever an issue?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wowza! Thats quite the setup. Welcome!

The new stock gasket is actually pretty good, not like the old junk felt ones. also the newer eggs should come with Tel-Tru therms as stock therms.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Could I use a strong bit and open up the holes a little wider if it's ever an issue?
    Yes. It has been done before by others on here. 
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

Welcome.  You didn't go big, you went nuclear.  One thing I did notice was missing if you want to do the low and slows is a Maverick 732.  Good product that lets you monitor your cook, but not necessarily have to be at your egg.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hapster said:
    With all that stuff coming in; you need to change your name.... no reason at all to be grim with that potential set up
    how about "that_guy_with_the_bad_ass_egg_setup"

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    caliking said:
    Wowza! Thats quite the setup. Welcome! The new stock gasket is actually pretty good, not like the old junk felt ones. also the newer eggs should come with Tel-Tru therms as stock therms.
    Well dang!!  I guess I will have some replacements around at least!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

Welcome.  You didn't go big, you went nuclear.  One thing I did notice was missing if you want to do the low and slows is a Maverick 732.  Good product that lets you monitor your cook, but not necessarily have to be at your egg.

Although if you go with a CyberQ or Stoker..you dont need one.

I'm definitely going to get one or the other. Just haven't decided which one is going to be best for me.  Lots of information to wade through.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thank you all for the big welcome!!  I've been known to get carried away, so the porch/kitchen build next summer will be a fun thread hopefully.
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Options
    Work HARD play HARDER!!!!!! Right? Enjoy your green egg.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm assuming...

You're starting a small dealership
    A "little" compensation
    You're a beast in the boudoir / gifts from wife
    You're the man of the house we wish we were

Either way... Welcome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

Or trying to compensate for something else.

Either way, welcome to the cult :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Ha, no. Not compensating. I have a nice new place out on the water and so far every weekend has seen 30+ people at the house and just needed a way to cook higher quality food for a larger number of people.  And compared to all my other hobbies this was by far the cheapest yet.  Try getting into the aquarium hobby or boating for only $3000 and you won't make it far!!
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

@Thatgrimguy I like that. I'll use that line on acquarium hobby or boating next time when I talk to my wife

>:)

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Lets see, i ONLY have one large egg, but am thinking i need a new boat???  How many eggs will i have to buy, before "the new boat" sounds good to my wife???
  • Egghead123SC
    Options
    Go ahead and fix the typo in your name, shoud be "ThatGRINguy"