Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Brisket

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

So I have had my egg for almost 2 years now and never attemted a full packer brisket, always done flats and they always seemed to be a big fail no matter what I did. After much reading of everyones blog ( @griffin was the main one) and reading everything @travisstrick has done I felt like I can tackle this monster. A friend of mine asked me to go to Costco with her (She used me) and I agreed. I had been reading that Costco has better meat so I had to check it out. One thing I did like after I made my selection my friend told the butcher to trim it to my liking, I liked that Idea.

Long story short I get the beast home 16.7LBS, and go the old school Franklins way just salt and pepper. Got the egg to 250 Grid and wedged her in and sat back. I am going for the rule of thumb at 1.5 Hours a pound, but we will see.

Also finally after a year of having my table I got a bottle opener attached, thanks to my wife for finding the one I wanted.

I will keep you posted of what happens in the end.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Man oh man that looks nice on there. If it only takes an hour a pound you will be off by 8 hours, so check it semi-frequently... Cheers.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Sounds like a winning plan to me. Keep us posted. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    I picked up a 10lb. packer yesterday and plan on doing the exact same cook on Sunday, can't wait to hear how yours turns out!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Great start, you will need that bottle opener during the stall...good luck.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    Man that looks good! Will be looking forward to more pics!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Good luck Tuttle. Thanks going to be a long FTC to get you all the way to Memorial Day!  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Good luck Tuttle. Thanks going to be a long FTC to get you all the way to Memorial Day!  ;)
    Had to cook it today because we are heading to the lake for the weekend, I need to get another egg for the lakehouse.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Looks good so far! Post an after pic!

Briskets scared the crap out of me when I first started to bbq. It seemed to be hit or miss before I got the egg. As long as your temp remains stable you should be fine. On the old smoker if the temp outside changed (which happens a lot here in Houston) the temp inside would change and my brisket would come out tough. The briskets I've done on the egg came out incredibly tender, juicy and with just enough smoke flavor. The full packer helps keep it moist with the fat, I think. (Plus, chopped up leftover fatty brisket is amazing in chili.)

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    Briskets are my Achilles heel.  I need to do more of them to get better results, but I struggle with the idea of spending a fair bit of money to produce mediocre results.  It's a really bad infinite loop... :(

Good luck!  I too love to start out my early morning with smoke rolling from the Egg and a cup of joe.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Forgot to mention- the last one you cook is for you and your family/friends. You might even have a few new buddies from the station to hang out with when it's all over.....I did (watch it, those dudes can drink)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    Well put Cen-Tex. Thanks for the motivation. I have only done one and had pretty good success but it has been a couple months now. I need to get on it if I want them to be good consistently.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well put Cen-Tex. Thanks for the motivation. I have only done one and had pretty good success but it has been a couple months now. I need to get on it if I want them to be good consistently.
    You'll also learn to doctor them up when they aren't perfect which is a good thing. They are all different. 
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    Take the rest to the fire station in your neighborhood and tell the fellas and ladies thanks for their service.

Great Idea!

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:
    Take the rest to the fire station in your neighborhood and tell the fellas and ladies thanks for their service.

Great Idea!
    I wish I thought of it but I had a good buddy who was a firefighter. he said, just bring it over here and we'll eat it and let you know what we think. I did it once when he was there and then he got transferred out to another station. I kept taking it to the one by my house and they were so appreciative that I just kept doing it. They would text me pictures of them sitting around watching the packers (I live in WI at this time) with plates piled high with BBQ. When I opened my restaurant/deli I brought them all in to test all our sandwiches and soups and they just loved it. They took it very seriously and took notes and gave honest feedback. They really had a lot of fun with it. They got my my cavernous stainless steel gasser 2 months after I got my egg and they still use it to this day.

Just tell them you are training for a competition so you have to cook more than you can eat. They will love you for it.

• travisstrick
    Options
    Listen to what Cen Tex says. If You'll notice, those of us that seem to achieve decent results, do briskets regularly. For me the trick is knowing when to take the dang thing off the egg. Temp, looks, smell, how the fat is sizzling on top blah blah blah. It all goes into when I take her off. 
  • TUTTLE871
    Options

She has been on since 7:45AM at around 250 Grid. Temp says 167 internal right now and been that way for about an hour.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:

She has been on since 7:45AM at around 250 Grid. Temp says 167 internal right now and been that way for about an hour.

you are stalled out. it's all over but the drinking....................
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    now I'm all fired up. headed to the store...................
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Cen-Tex!  I'll just need to suck it up and start hitting them hard.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:

Could be an hour, could be 2, could be several...that is why you have a chair, an ashtray, a couple cigars and a cooler next to Eggland...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dpittard said:
    Thanks for the advice Cen-Tex!  I'll just need to suck it up and start hitting them hard.
    Just let me or any of the other guys on here know if you need some help and we'll walk you through a few. If i had the forum when I was learning, I could have saved dozens of disappointing meals and many hundreds of centex dollars (although I was just john back then :) )

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    dpittard said:
    Just let me or any of the other guys on here know if you need some help and we'll walk you through a few. If i had the forum when I was learning, I could have saved dozens of disappointing meals and many hundreds of centex dollars (although I was just john back then :) )

centex is so awesome he can print his own money.

imageimage
  • Eggtometrist
    Options
    Got a question.  Have been doing my research, not new to the Egg, done good brisket and bad.  Going to do a bigger packer approx 17-18 lbs.  One variable I have not see mentioned is, whether or not it is better to "stretch" it across my XL Egg or better to "squash" it close together?  Hope that makes sense.  Maybe a little nit-picky, but it is such an uneven cut, I can see pros and cons either way.  Curious to an opinion.
    "We screw the other guy and pass the savings along to you."

Don't call me "Ace"

• travisstrick
    Options
    Got a question.  Have been doing my research, not new to the Egg, done good brisket and bad.  Going to do a bigger packer approx 17-18 lbs.  One variable I have not see mentioned is, whether or not it is better to "stretch" it across my XL Egg or better to "squash" it close together?  Hope that makes sense.  Maybe a little nit-picky, but it is such an uneven cut, I can see pros and cons either way.  Curious to an opinion.
    I havent noticed that making a difference. They all squish once they start cooking. The heat contracts the muscle. 
  • TUTTLE871
    Options

What Temp internal should I pull her at, and let her rest?

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'd start testing at 190 and when it pulls out with no resistance, it's ready :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    As mentioned by @CigarSmokinegger-start testing at around 190*F in the thickest part of the flat.  No resistance and you are there-don't be surprised if you end up in the low 200's.  Also, the point will cook quicker and finish at a higher temp than the flat-no problem-the flat is the finish-line indicator.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:

What Temp internal should I pull her at, and let her rest?
    195-205 My last one was 197 and was perfect. 
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options

Damn enablers.  :D  I already had my cooks planned for each day of the long weekend.  Some of the fair includes salmon, chicken, back ribs, pizza, and a few apps such as ABT’s.  After reading this thread I just found myself sitting down on the couch after a trip to Costco for a brisket.  They had 20+ briskets with a good selection of sizes. 

P.S. thanks to all for the great information.  It saves us novices a lot of money and even more frustration.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE