Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Rex steaks (sort-of) came out too salty. Why?

Options
Ed
Ed Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just cooked 5 rib-eyes and they came out a bit salty. I was trying to follow T-Rex's cooking instructions but a couple of things were different. [p]a) All the steaks were thin (1-1.25 inch cuts). Two were fresh angus and three were previously frozen limosin. All were ribeyes. [p]b) I underestimated how much lump I needed and could only get the large egg up to 700-750 degrees.[p]When I first got my egg two weeks ago, I followed the T-rex instructions to a T and the steaks were great. This time instead of buying fresh and asking for a specific cut, I just used some bone-in ribeyes from the deep freeze and hoped for the best. When I was rubbing the salt in, it was pretty obvious the previously frozen streak was much less firm than the fresh one, but the ribeyes were by nature more open than a New York, which is what T-rex recommends.[p]I think with the rib-eyes, I shouldn't have rubbed the salt in like on the New York strips. I also think that I should be more careful rubbing salt into previoulsy frozen beef. However, it could be that my grill was just at too low a temp to sear off the salt. [p]Has anyone had problems with ribeyes soaking up too much salt, or is this just obvious and I should have known better?[p]Thanks,[p]Ed[p]

Comments

• JeffHughes
    Options
    Ed,[p]I don't know about the salt deal, but I think the best TRex steaks are 2" thick, no matter the cut...[p]Jeff
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Ed,
    You aren't supposed to be applying a salt crust to these things.... Just seasoning. It sounds like you simply over seasoned the steaks. The TRex method applies to cooking.. sear, rest, cook... [p]The seasoning is a whole separate animal. Coat with a little olive oil, season both sides lightly with your favorite mixture, pat it in, and let it sit for a short period of time before grilling.[p]Rib eyes are softer, less dense than the New York strips. I think they would absorb the salt faster then the NYS. [p]Your cooking temp was fine. Once you get "lava" in the bottom of the egg, you are good to go. There's no need to quibble over a few degrees... in fact, the thermometer is probably off by 100° anyhow. I go by "feel," when we have good lava in the bottom, and you can kinda smell the gasket burning up, you know you have pushed things far enough. Throw the steaks on and watch out for the flasback.[p]I just did a Lion's Club steak fry, (125 steaks on a big gasser) and my new "assistant" over did the seasoning. I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing, and he got a bit over zealous with the seasonings... hence, (afterwards) I heard the complaints (my wife) about the salty steaks.... Next time I'll give instructions.... [p]IMHO, steaks shouldn't be frozen. Period. The meat takes on a "texture" that I don't care for. Mushy would be my thought. Some meats freeze fine, others don't...[p]Mike in MN

• Rumrunner
    Options
    Ed, Rib Eye's will not suck any more salt than any other steak. Looks like too much salt to begin with. Second) previously frozen steaks will change in texture slightly, due to loss of moisture (varies on how cold kept, how long thawed, and other conditions of handling). I have found that previously frozen steaks will 'suck' the salt in more because of the moisture that is left in the steak draws the salt thru the open 'pores'(change in texture), per se. Third)700-750° is MORE than hot enough to sear a steak. I sear mine at 450° and have no problems. One question, where did you purchase the 'previously' frozen Rib Eyes?

• Ed
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    The steaks were part of a 1/4 cow I bought from a friend who raises beef as a hobby. When you buy a 1/4 cow, everything comes frozen solid unless, I suppose, you request otherwise. I'm getting to the end of it and will not do it again because there are just too many cuts I don't care for and too much hamburger.[p]Lucky for me, I live in Texas, so I can just go outside for 10 minutes and sweat all the salts out of my body. Lately my egg, sitting in the sun, has been at 150-160 before I light it![p]Thanks,[p]Ed

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Ed,[p]Over salting (or under salting) is easy to do because of the different grinds & types of salts available. They even vary from maker to maker. (For example: 1 tablespoon of granular salt = 1-1/2 tablespoons of Morton's Kosher or 2 tablespoons of Diamond Crystal Kosher).[p]T-Rex's thchnique calls for Kosher sea salt, but not too coarse. Sea salts can really vary from one to the other. If you're not using an exact product, you could be off a little. [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    newtrrub.jpg
    <p />Ed,[p]You know, this salt issue is partly my fault. I have been meaning to add some "editor notes" to my writeup. So, let me explain . . .[p]When I first started using this method, I used a coating of porter mustard, as you'll note the writeup speaks of. When searing the steaks with this mustard coating, a good bit of it would fall off. That's why I started with more salt than seems enough, because a lot of it would get lost during the searing and in the end you'd end up with just the right amount.[p]Nowadays, I rarely use mustard, simply because I can't find that brown porter mustard that I used to love to use. So here's the key: IF YOU DON'T USE THE MUSTARD, BACK OFF ON THE SALT.[p]Now salt, like any seasoning, is a matter of taste, so I encourage everyone to experiment until they find just the right match of seasoning to satisfy their taste buds. I, personally, still like a good bit of salt, as does my wife, and some people may deem the amount we use a little on the "too much salt" side, but again, a matter of preference. When I cook for larger groups, I try to "feel-out" each person's salt-sensitivity.[p]So there you have it. As I always say, experiment, experiment, experiment. [p]Best of luck and cheers,[p]TRex
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Bingo!![p]That'd be my quess also.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Ed
    Options
    TRex,[p]Your picture says it all. I had a lot more salt than that. However, quite a few of those eating the steaks, love salty food and still really liked the steaks. I think you can get away with more salt when your cut is thicker. Anyway, thanks for the help and an AWESOME write-up on cooking steaks. Even these last steaks, being a little too salty were still very, very good. [p]As far as mustard, are you talking about something like Sierra Navada Porter Mustard? -- see link to page below.
    [ul][li]http://www.california-flavors.com/c-50401.html[/ul]
  • pointer
    Options
    I use the Sierra Nevada Porter & Spicy Brown mustard on my "Trex" steaks and it is great.

I have turned a bunch of people into mustard believers!

pointer
  • Ed,[p]
    GEtting it up to 750 is not bad, that is a damn good (ideal for me) searing temp!

• Ed,
    I use the trex method on all my steaks. I use a seas salt that is more coarse, so much does fall off. Today in lieu of salt, I used Dizzy Pig cow lick on some angus steaks and it was really nice. Then again, I do like a salty steak when using the sea salt. Its all about expirmentation!

• Also, I could not find the porter mustard TREX mentions and settled on a good brown mustard called guldens, about 2 bucks and it tastes awesome to me. I do not even like mustard, but on the steak I love it! No french's mustard of course, get something brown and semi gourmet.