Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Sunday's BB rib cook

Options

A little late getting these up, but here's my rib cook from Sunday, first ribs with Dizzy Pig, one rack with Dizzy Dust and one with Swamp Venom on top of yellow mustard with the membranes removed.  Did the 2-1-2 method this time instead of 2-2-1 at approx. 230-240* grate and they turned out fantastic, very tender with tons of flavor just a hair short of falling off the bone at completion.  Am going to probably go with a straight 5-hour cook next time with no foiling and see how it goes.

Both rubs were fantastic and the Swamp Venom did have a little extra kick, but not so much that it was overwhelming for those who don't care for too much heat.  I also added some red potatoes with EVOO and Dizzy Dust after the first two hours.

Getting started....Dizzy Pig on the left, Swamp Venom on the right.

Obligatory backyard shot actually from chicken breast cook the night before.image

Lightly paint with Sweet Baby Ray's for the last hour.image

Done and ready to rest for a bit before being devouredimage

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Looks pretty good, ever try "smashed potatoes"?   You might consider wrapping your probe cable in a couple of layers of foil to reflect some of the direct heat from your lump below.  Just that portion inside your egg.  Might save you some hassle with probe cable failures?? 
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    Those look great. Smashed potatoes are great but I have not done them on the egg.

I second the foil suggestion. I have the same CGS grate and have a hard time attaching the temp probe to the grate. I wadded up a piece of foil and stuffed it between the grates. No I just attach the probe to the foil and it is easier for me.

Did you prefer the ribs with mustard or without?
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Did you prefer the ribs with mustard or without?

I do, but a very light coating and more so because the rub sticks to the meat more efficiently.  And I will add some foil to my probe cables.....haven't had a problem yet, but can't hurt.

I neglected to mention (and there is no edit feature?) that I did of course go indirect with lump and a combo of apple and hickory, about 3-4 good size chunks each.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Ribs look great.  I love smoked taters as a side item. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Brianj5685
    Brianj5685 Posts: 57
    Options
    Care to explain the 2-1-2 method for a newbie?
    "Live Fast, Die Fun"

LBGE

Roll Tide