Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza Stone Heresy?

So im cooking up some costco pizza's for saturday(16") and my pizza stone is 14.5".  So ive been calling around and the only "stone" i can get isnt even a stone.  Im wondering if there is a difference in taste and crispness on using a different type of "stone"  here's a link to what i can get

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=40346656&

·

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,518
    This looks similar to the baking steel everyone bought recently. Haven't heard any complaints. Should be fine.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 627
    If it is oven safe to 500 you are probably going to get to find out what happens above 500...
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,719
    i never cook pizzas above 450, so thats not an issue for me.  Im more concerned about the crust then anything else.
    ·
  • http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-4461-16-Inch-Oven/dp/B0000E19MW

You can have it overnight if you're willing to pay

I don't know about the taste of cooking on a steel pan versus the stone but I do know Calphalon makes a great product
    ·
    http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-4461-16-Inch-Oven/dp/B0000E19MW

You can have it overnight if you're willing to pay

I don't know about the taste of cooking on a steel pan versus the stone but I do know Calphalon makes a great product
    I looked into that first.  Its $39 just for shipping..cost more then the stone.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,817
    I would think it might change the texture of the crust a little because that pan isn't going to retain heat like a stone or the baking steel.  It has holes in it so it should allow the crust to "breath" and this should help.  I recall people using something like this in the past and they had good results.  I don't recall if they used this over a stone (sort of like a pizza screen) or by itself.  

For $19 I would say it is worth a try if you can't find a stone.  Might be handy for cooking other stuff like shrimp, veggies, fish.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,193
    I only offer this because some like to cook so hot, or as we all do accidentally get really hot.  I know this because I own macaws.  Teflon gassifies at high temp and make noxious (deadly to parrots) fumes.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
    I bought it. So we'll see how it cooks up. Found it at target for $12
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,115

I only offer this because some like to cool so hot, or as we all do accidentally get really hot.  I know this because I own macaws.  Teflon gassifies at high temp and make noxious (deadly to parrots) fumes.

I won't ask how you know that.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    I have been cooking with a $14 stone from Bed Bath and Beyond for almost 2 years.  Works fine for me.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
    boatbum said:
    I have been cooking with a $14 stone from Bed Bath and Beyond for almost 2 years.  Works fine for me.
    What type? and size ?
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

will ask the wife, not sure the packaging.  probably 14-16 inches, nothing special just their generic pizza stone.

Have had it hot - 600, normally cook around 475 -500 - no problems with it.   When I bought the Egg, the salesperson made an impassioned plea that I needed a "special" pizza stone.  The less expensive one has worked for me.

Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • sticks88sticks88 Posts: 94
    The pizza stone for the XL is  99 bucks up here.It'll have to wait a while.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

·
  • jeroldharterjeroldharter Posts: 444
    Hi54putty said:
    This looks similar to the baking steel everyone bought recently. Haven't heard any complaints. Should be fine.
    That is nothing like a pizza steel. It is more like a perforated cookie sheet. The pizza steel is more like a Panzer.
    ·