Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does brine bring any value to a Butt?

Options
I have made several butts and never used a brine. Results have been great nearly every time. I  have seen some folks talk about brining them. I have 4 to cook Monday and would consider it but I'm not really sure what more I should expect by brining. Anyone have a compelling argument for it?
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i like to brine a butt when i have time.  its just different, i really think it ads another dimension.  i only do it when i plan ahead but the way i drink i very rarely doing any planning but liquor store trips.  i wouldn't doing it if i was going to do 4.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    With four you can do a blind test, brine one and then see if there is any noticeable difference with the outcome.  I've not done side-by-side comparisons but brining can introduce a different flavor profile-at least til the supervisory adult beverages overwhelm it :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Egghead123SC
    Options

I think most of what I have read indicates brining does not really help butts--they are moist when cooked low and slow.  However, I do brine my pork shoulders for Cuban sandwiches since brine brings some orange and garlic flavors in.

On normal butts, I do find injecting them adds a new dimension.  Details here on prior butt cook with injection:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1240522&catid=1

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I think most of what I have read indicates brining does not really help butts--they are moist when cooked low and slow.  However, I do brine my pork shoulders for Cuban sandwiches since brine brings some orange and garlic flavors in.

On normal butts, I do find injecting them adds a new dimension.  Details here on prior butt cook with injection:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1240522&catid=1

I inject my butts for Cuban style when I don't plan ahead with a marinade. Works great.
  • DeaconKav
    DeaconKav Posts: 84
    Options
    Like most said I would try & see if you like it. I did it for the first time my last butt & loved it. So I probably will be doing it a lot more. I will say that most pitmasters seem to for competition. I used a recipe in DR BBQ book called competition style pork butt.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    Thanks all! I may give it a shot and see how it turns out. I'm cooking for one of my customers so they will be happy either way I'm sure.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Cook alot of Butts.   Have never brined one.   Never injected one until about 4 months ago, now I always inject.

Very interested in what the results are.   Always learning something new.

Cookin in Texas
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Boatbum what are you injecting with?
    Duncan, SC
  • boatbum
    Options

1/2 Italian Salad dressing - strained to take out the solids.

1/2 Franks Hot Sauce - any vinegar based sauce would work, key is the vinegar, breaks down the meat.

Cookin in Texas
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks. I will be cooking 4 soon and may try a taste test between brining, injecting and none of the above.
    Duncan, SC
  • boatbum
    Options

with the injection I am using, you do get a bit of flavor out of the Italian Salad dressing - not much flavor impact on the hot sauce, just makes it more tender.

Cookin in Texas
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I used to use Italian Salad Dressing, but tripped over Lawry's Teriayki Marinade and am stuck on it.  It doesn't give the pork any taste like teriayki, but just a real rich gravy flavor.  Comes in a 12 ounce bottle  -- two bucks at Walmart.  The average butt will only take about 6 ounces, so you get two butts out of a bottle.  Makes a big difference..
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Buy a high quality pork butt (oops - I mean Boston roast) and let the pork speak for itself. Forget all theses marinades and brines. I buy a top quality pork butt from my butcher, rub and smoke and the meat is like butter and the taste is divine.