Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just ordered a DigiQ.......

I've been eying one of these for a while.  With certain things though, it's hard to look at the price tag and say "yes this is a good idea".  However, I finally bit.  Hopefully it will be here in the next week.  We have company coming next weekend as well.  What do you suggest for a first time use?

Thanks and I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Boston butt roast.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    +1 Boston butt
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    When i first got my egg i got into cooking "low and slow" pork butts, and quickly realized i needed a DigiQ.  Some of my cooks went as long as 24 hours!!  But then someone introduced mr to turbo cooking them and that ended to overnighters!!  But i still use it for the turbo cooks, it allows me to turn my back and go to the store or other things while the DigiQ watches over the cook.  Sometimes i will just use the probes on cooks to monitor what is happening inside my egg.  I have burnt up one set of probes, think it cost me $52. to replace them, i now keep the probe wires wrapped in a few layers of foil and always route them over one of the plate setter's legs.  It's a very good product, like some others on the market.  Enjoy your "assistant cook"!!
  • henapple
    always route them over one of the plate setter's legs.

Thanks tuna..
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Try the cook during the day, make sure you have a good idea of how it works. A stoker basically turns your egg into an oven, as Charlie says takes the worry out of wandering away from the cook. 
    I also agree we have moved more to turbo, so our cooks are done during the day. 
    Good luck with whatever you choose. 
    Butt is the cook, very forgiving. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    You can do a Small Turkey or Ribs and Turkey Breast Dizzy Pig Style that way you can use your new toy but not spend all day on your first cook using it. I still do 11-12 hour butts because its so easy with the digiQ I try not to even open it until it is really close to being done, no foil, no spritz just let the egg do the magic Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next 

I put links to my favorite cooks using my digiQ. If you have any questions just let me know either on this post or on mine. 

Your going to love it! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    Please forgive @solson005 he is a food over achiever. I just just try to make my cooks look half as good as his and there still over the top ; ) . His just makes great stuff. Just curious though @sookie. Bought my digi q a while ago. Did you look into the cyber Q. I would buy it instead now if it were me.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Solson005
    Thanks @six_egg I do tend to challenge myself on the egg. These cooks are pretty much set it and forget it, the ribs require some maintenance, but the pork I didn't open the dome for 10 hours even though I wanted too. =P~ I like the cyberQ or cyberQ II since I have two eggs now (I already have two fans one from a old smoker pre-BGE) but there is nothing wrong with my digiQ so I need to wait..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335

Wow thanks for all the advice.  I might just do a boston butt AND some ribs.   We use the heck out of the Lord Byrons Butt Rub that Solson has on the pulled pork recipe page.  I've used it on ribs before too and it turns out fine.  I also loved the idea of the carnitas the next day too.  My spousal unit loves just about anything if it involves a tortilla. 

I did look at the CyberQ  but just didn't think i needed quite all the bells and whistles.  I have to say that I think the BGE is definitely one of the best investments we have ever made.  

• Solson005
    Sure, anytime! 

That pulled pork was the best yet and we love anything with a mexican flare too! Bad Byron's is good stuff, as you saw I went with the big container and forget about it sometimes as it is further back in the cabinet. 

Those ribs are a great way of doing them, it was close to the regular way we do them but I kept it just as CarWash Mike did and it will be my goto rib recipe from now on! 

The DigiQ is perfect if you don't need to remotely monitor cooks, I like being outside on the patio while the egg is working away so the extras would just be nice but not needed. 

Sounds like some good food will be made on your egg! 
  • Sookie
    Well i'm not new to the Egg, and lots of good stuff has been made.  Last night we did chicken breasts pounded then, then wrapped around ham and gouda cheese.  secure with some toothpicks and wrap some bacon around, and smoked over some apple wood.  We also did some spicy new potatoes marinaded in olive oil and spices, then throw them on the grill.  They turn out blackish/crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside.  we have yet to have a guest be disappointed. 
  • Solson005
    Sounds delicious! I love new potatoes on the grill. 

I didn't mean to come across that you were new to the egging world, just saying why I love the digiQ. 

People love coming over to our house too! They leave full and happy! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    "spousal unit".  I like that.  "Spousal unit: please proceed to manufacture pleasing edible product, then take out the goddam garbage!"  :D

Yeah I can't wait.  I think I will love it too.  Supposedly the package has a shipping label on it but hasn't wound up at the UPS place yet.  I will have to share pics of my first DigiCook with ya all :) 

And solson, I love the patio.  We have a paver patio too with a curve similar to yours, cover though :)

• nolaegghead
    I have that same unit.  Easy to use.  start the fire open the slide damper on the stoker fan about 1/4.  Keep the DW on - you can even close it all the way.  Then turn the system on.  If it runs constantly, open the damper up a little.  If it over shoots your set point, close it a little.  About 1/4 open works fine in a large for 225-275F.

After taking out the garbage, do you consume beer in mass quantities?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    Thanks we love the patio too!

As far as the fan setting mine is always wide open even with the small egg, I did a 9 lb turkey in and it kept it right at 325 for 4 hours. I put it in once the fire is going. I usually have the petals open and that's it the fan adjusts the heat as needed, easier to raise it than overshoot and try and back it down.

Lots of different ways to use it, find a method that works for you and it will be great!
  • nolaegghead
    "spousal unit".  I like that.  "Spousal unit: please proceed to manufacture pleasing edible product, then take out the goddam garbage!"  :D

After taking out the garbage, do you consume beer in mass quantities?
    Always.  Always. 

• Add me to the list of people who just ordered the Digi Q DX2 for my medium BGE. Mine is about 20 years old, so I'm pretty good at maintaining temperature, especially with the aid of a Maverick 732 set of probes. The problem is I still have to intervene when the temperature varies, which ties me to the house, especially if I'm doing a long cook. I just ordered mine today and I'll report back to everyone on how easy, or not, it is to install and how it works.
  • bocaboy2591
    bocaboy2591 Posts: 26
    Well, I've owned it for about two months now and have done both low temperature and high temperature cooks in my BGE. In short, I love this thing. I've discovered if the flue is left too open, the temperature will start to get too high. Once the BGE is preheated to whatever I'm cooking at, I close down the flue to the same degree I would if I were controlling the temperature manually.

I recently did my first overnight smoke of a pork butt. At midnight I set the temp to 225º and went to sleep. When I awoke at 7:00, it was still stuck at 225º, right where I left it.

In short, I can not imagine ever cooking without this device. At least for a charcoal device, it adds the convenience of a thermostat to the functionality of a great charcoal smoker. Well worth the investment.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Dayum, there goes more of my money!!
    :))
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Charlie tuna
    This morning i put a brisket on my egg at 10:00 AM and set the cooking temperature at 225 degrees.  I monitored the cook until i found the egg stabized and the meat on it's way to a normal cook!  I then forgot about it and went about my normal day.  Checked it at the three hour period and all was normal and running about twenty degrees above my setpoint, which is normal for my egg.  Took off to buy out the rest of the Royal Oak lump on sale at my local Walmart.  Checked it at seven hours into the cook and was about ten degrees from the finish temperature.  Kind of monitored the last ten degrees, sat down to a perfect brisket meal.  You will enjoy your DigiQ.
  • Sookie
    Have had mine now a couple months, and LOVE IT.  Did a Boston Butt in it and left it overnight and it was still the same temp in the morning, just like the others said it would be.  It's amazing.  Could not live without one now. 
  • Charlie tuna
    I have mine running right now while smoking fish , holding temperature at 225 overnight, not using the food probe, just the grid probe,fan.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    You will absolutely love it. You did GOOD!

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Charlie tuna
    Smoked Amberjack using the DigiQ, my grid temperature kept drifting up higher and higher, could be the wood chunks burning??
  • henapple
    Sookie, every time I see your handle I think of Dwight Yoakum. Ahhhh Sookie.
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Should come standard, or at least at a discount, with the egg.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

Way to date yourself. I think of True blood. Specifically the way Vampire Bill says it.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

Way to date yourself. I think of True blood. Specifically the way Vampire Bill says it.