Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egging in the rain

I have never smoked in the rain before and wondered if there are any risks.  I plan on smoking a pork butt and there is a good chance of rain.  Since I will be around a temp  of 250, I will be able to keep the daisy wheel closed and have the bottom vent cracked.  With this in mind, I shouldn't have any problems smoking in the rain, correct?

Comments

• fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 879

Shouldn't

• MrossMross Posts: 338
    I have cooked in a light rain many times.
    Duncan, SC
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,864
    Rain is a non issue. Cook away. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    You shouldn't have any issues but I drag my patio umbrella next to the egg when needed. Mainly to keep my dry.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    We've had a few very sudden pop-up monsoons this past week.  I was grilling, the sun was out...suddenly the bottom dropped out.  Big fat rain as Forrest Gump says.  The Egg didn't skip a beat.  I'm pretty sure it didn't drop a degree in temp.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    I've used mine through hurricanes, nor' esasters, and blizzards without any problem - all uncovered. Very helpful when the power goes out.
    Mamaroneck
  • bezdecrbezdecr Posts: 28
    Thanks for the all the input! Full speed ahead
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,920
    @bezdecr-I notice in your initial post you mention "keeping the daisy wheel closed".  Not knowing just what you mean by that, I'm guessing you will have the "petals" open.  Regardless, make sure you have an air-flow path thru the lump for your cook or you will lose the fire-not to mention the nasty smoke smell such an event creates.  FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 523
    Shouldn't be an issue. Here are my spare ribs smoking away in a huge rain storm.
    Edina, MN

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,817
    I make an aluminum tent that fits over the cap for rainy days.  Looks like if I want to use it this weekend I will need to make another and possibly snow shoes for this memorial day weekend in lower NY.

Garnerville, NY
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,817
    r270ba said:
    If I get one more Eggcessory for the Egg I will be living in the yard.

Garnerville, NY
  • jimfastcarjimfastcar Posts: 88
    robnybbq said:
    r270ba said:
    If I get one more Eggcessory for the Egg I will be living in the yard.

Me too !
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,570
    You two better stay away from the grid extender thread...
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    edited May 2013

r270ba said:
    I'm working on a review as we type or speak or whatever.....   Hope to publish it in the next couple of days.  Of course, people have bought galvanized chimney caps to do this same thing.

The Naked Whiz