Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multi plane Cooking

Options
Charbon
Charbon Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
sausagelayer.jpg
<p />I've decided to step out and try a 2 level cook instead of my usual single plane attempts. Plan here is to cook Italian sausages over a pie pan with squash, tomato, fusilli, pepper, onion and bacon. I only have original grid lifter which I have never used. I know I face a complicated grid lift and extraction process later tonight. Between now and then there is likely to be some adult beverages but I am confident I can come out the other side without severe burns. Do those of you having a different model lifter feel the same about hoisting hot grates? Would your answer be the same if you were only wearing a bath towel? Thanks

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Charbon,
    I don't want to seem a smart aleck here, but if your lifter shown is a BGE model, if you turn it over and intertwine it thru the grates, its simple and foolproof to use. Should be easy to lift the grate shown by picking it up close to the outer ring.
    I say this because I do know some people were trying to use it upside down, and was very hard to control, the right way you don't have to sqeeze hard at all, its a simple self tightening handle when you pick it up.
    If you already know this, then just forget I brought it up :)![p]later,
    ChefRD

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    IMG_0504_1.jpg
    <p />Charbon,[p]i did make a set of custom lifters that are ideal for a loaded grid. I recieved several emails saying that others are interested. I didn't get enough replys to justify tooling, but i can add you to the list.[p]Scott

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    ChefRD,
    Thanks, Put me down as a reformed upside down user. It looks like it should be held that way like a pair of vice grips. I bought the BGE one several years ago but never really had desire to fool with hot grates.