Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked Meatloaf

Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,192
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Whipped up a smoked meatloaf the other night. Turned out great! For the breadcrumbs, I always use ground up croutons. Gives it great flavor. I learned that trick from Alton Brown. Also added in some minced onions, carrots, celery, eggs, worcestershire, dijon mustard, stubbs BBQ sauce and other seasonings. The meat was a mixture of ground beef, veal and pork. Sauced with a mixture of Stubbs, Dijon and honey. Turned out great!

2014 Co-Wing King
image.jpg 603.7K
image.jpg 769.7K
image.jpg 542.1K
image.jpg 724.3K
image.jpg 791.1K
image.jpg 862.3K
·

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,590
    That is a nice looking beef brick! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
  • caneggercanegger Posts: 529
    Yum. Looks awesome. Love a good meatloaf. I think i'm due for one soon now
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    That looks great! Do you turn it all during the cook (it doesn't look like it)?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,217
    Do you grind your own with a ka attachment?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,192
    Thx y'all! No turning is involved. Just left it in place indirect the whole time. @henapple, I didn't grind my own with this meatloaf. I bought it pre-ground.
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    Fantastic looking brick of meat you done did there, Dyal. Nice. I need to do another one soon.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,242
    well done, great looking loaf.

·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 674
    Mouth watering!! How does the BBQ flavor come across in a meatloaf? Never thought of doing smoked meatloaf on the egg but seems like anything can go well on the egg :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,192
    Thx y'all! @bbqlearner, the smoke and BBQ flavor puts the meatloaf over the top! They go together perfectly. Try it, I promise you'll like it. :)
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • Wchapman74Wchapman74 Posts: 50
    looks great.
    I usually use ground turkey instead of beef and wrap in a bacon blanket.
    just before I remove it(about 20mins or so) I dust it with brown sugar.
    Sooo good
    ·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    mmm. gonna have to try, thanks.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,176
    That's one sexy brick of meat you got there! Well done!!!
    ·
  • Dannyo14Dannyo14 Posts: 12
    I have been adding blue cheese to my meat mixture.  Turns out FANTASTIC.  Definitely meatloaf day
    ·