Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig Question

Options
I recently bought an AR so that I can cook a lot of butts for Memorial Day. I used it last weekend, only cooked one butt but set it up as though I were doing multilevel in order to get comfortable with it. (Cooked on top level) The cook went great but I still have one question: since I will be cooking on both the lowest level and the top of the rig, will there be an appreciable difference in temp/time between the two levels? I can't imagine having to switch the butts mid-cook but i would like them to get up to temp in roughly the same length of time. Any advice?
"If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

I would imagine so. I dont (yet) have an AR, but using a two level swing rack has same issue. When I do chicken on it, I need to take to switch them.

But good question and would love to learn.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    First, they may cook at different temps on the same grid. If you are 6'2" 220 and so is your neighbor you likely have different fat content. Same with the meat. The higher in the dome for me the faster it cooks. It won't be way faster but likely faster. Depending in the AR setup you have it is easy to switch. If you don't swap them then FTC the first one until second is ready then FTC it until time to eat. Enjoy. Fun cook
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I have the AR oval stone, rib extender, etc. There are small differences, top to bottom, left to right, front to back. Butt not enough to worry about. I've done four at once and saw no need to move them. Hey, it's a GRILL. Even if it was an art kiln the butts all cook a little different, too. Just cook, Baby!
  • LakeSeminoleEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I will try to post pics.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller