Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Tight is your Egg Seal?

Options
Chicago Wine Geek
Chicago Wine Geek Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
d166b7c1.jpg
<p />One side of mine is tight.[p]The other side isn't, and smoke leaks out of the gap. Any idea if this is normal or how to fix it?

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,[p]I really can't help you, but didn't want you left hanging. My son had the same problem, as have many others. I don't have spring assist bands, but aren't there some nylon shims that come with the Egg to help you adjust this? I'd recommend loosening everything until the lid sits flush, and take a good look at what might be out of kilter. Just an idea.[p]Mike
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Thanks Mike. My Egg was delivered fully assembled so I didn't have to put it together. I'm going to check with the dealer. Doesn't seem to affect anything, as far as I can tell. Maybe if I had a tighter seal, stuff would be moister.??.
  • locolongball
    Options
    Had the same issues. Lawnranger hit the nail on the head. You have to loosen up everything and have someone push down on the lid while tighten everything. The bands my be torque just a bit... Be careful on a steak sear or hot cook.. If you don't fix the gap before a hot cook you could burn the gasket. I've gone through 3 gaskets in 6 months before I figured out what was wrong. Anyway, after about 1hr of tightening and loosening we got it to sit flush, and no problem since.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    IMG_0415.jpg
    <p />Chicago Wine Geek,
    one thing for certain is that you're going to be needing a new gasket shortly - a gap like that is asking for a problem. Here's a pix of what I had to do a couple months ago when I replaced my locking band with the spring loaded one. Key is a uniform weight when tightening the bolts - If you don't have clamps if your wife is willing you might get her to sit in the dome - (and if you do please post a picture!)
    The other possibility - and trust me it's not that uncommon - is the planes on your base and dome are greatly out of whack and you may have to grind down the high spots and revert to a thicker gasket.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    RRP,
    I knew that someone who knew what they were talking about would eventually surface. Thanks, Ron.[p]Mike[p]

• Chicago Wine Geek,[p]I have the same issue. You can call the mothership, and they will guide you how to correct. It involves adjusting the bands on the dome. Give them a call.
  • locolongball
    Options
    Thanks Ron? I said the same darn thing expect I didn't have the cool little apparatus. So Ron gets all the credit...Ah, I see how it is! :angry:
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll call them today.
  • Eggtuary
    Options
    locolongball,

Don't forget that messages posted on the new Club Egg forum (www.biggreenegg.net) do not show up on the original (www.biggreenegg.com), so Lawn Ranger probably didn't see your message. You, however, posting on the new forum, see both the old and the new.

I thought I'd point this out to avoid future confusion (and so you don't think you're getting ignored!)

Mike