Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump sale

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but last night I was in Lowes and they had Cowboy lump 20lbs bags on sale for labor day.  They were 9.99 for the big bag.  Not my favorite lump but i may need to pick some up for that price.  Looking on their website it is on sale till 5-20-13.  So im not sure if its on sale in the store longer.

Comments

• AthensM50
    AthensM50 Posts: 19
    picked up a couple bags myself..... :-)
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Thanks man, always been weary of it, but will at least try some while on sale. 

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Never had much luck with Cowboy but that was a few years ago, at that price I'll pick up a bag tomorrow start a cook and if it looks good I'll go back for more.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    As mentioned elsewhere, RO is on sale at Wal-mart... 17.6lbs for $10 + tax. I picked up 3 bags today. I stopped using it a few years ago because of the random chit I kept finding in the bags, but I figured I would give it a try again. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    It looks like true value has it on sale through the end of the month for 8.99. This is for the 20 lbs bag. You can go to their website and see the add.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Yep...free ship to store at True Value and also another $5 off online orders over $30.  Unfortunately for me there is not one close to me. 

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Bargains-of-the-Month/Current-Offers/May/Hardwood-Lump-Charcoal-20-Lb/pc/2724/c/2725/sc/2726/1602.uts

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Firemanyz said:
    Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but last night I was in Lowes and they had Cowboy lump 20lbs bags on sale for labor day.  They were 9.99 for the big bag.  Not my favorite lump but i may need to pick some up for that price.  Looking on their website it is on sale till 5-20-13.  So im not sure if its on sale in the store longer.
    Get a copy of the True Value sale ad for Cowboy $8.99/20 and Lowe's will match it, also they give 10% off for veterans.  My bags were $8.09 each.  Tried to get an eggstra 5% for using the Lowe's credit card but the manager  said only 2 discounts.  Still a great deal.
  • gasface
    gasface Posts: 21
    I actually like cowboy now.. tried a few years ago and it was meh...

last year I grabbed a few bags in desperation at home depot and it was very different..now its my go to.. went up about 3 bucks a bag now
  • Firemanyz said:
    Get a copy of the True Value sale ad for Cowboy $8.99/20 and Lowe's will match it, also they give 10% off for veterans.  My bags were $8.09 each.  Tried to get an eggstra 5% for using the Lowe's credit card but the manager  said only 2 discounts.  Still a great deal.
    I did what you did last week, but my 10% was for lowes price matching it and beating true values price. I was also able to get the 5% for using my lowes CC. I paid about $7.60 a bag..
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Firemanyz said:
    Even if the Lowes 9.99 a bag expires on the 20th, True Values deal expires on May 30th for 8.99 a bag.. Lowes will still price match that + 10% off, +5% if you use your lowes card.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    I was just on lowes website and the sale has been extended to 5-27-13 if anybody wants some.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @caliking

all I use is RO, no issues

I bought a few bags of cowboys while it was on sale

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    For the first time my local Walmart has 17.6 pound bags of RO.  They had a pallet, i bought all but four damaged bags.  For some reason they didn't charge tax on it???  26 bags for $260..  Their manager said they are going to stock the big bags at thirteen bucks a bag, which isn't bad.
  • Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63

That's cheap for Cowboy. My only issue is that bags I've had seem to have a lot of dust. I prefer RO for everyday use. They both burn pretty quick for my taste.

Found some Wicked Good and seem to like that best right now. Burns slow, not much dust. Big pieces. Worth the cost.

To each his own!

• caliking said:
    As mentioned elsewhere, RO is on sale at Wal-mart... 17.6lbs for $10 + tax. I picked up 3 bags today. I stopped using it a few years ago because of the random chit I kept finding in the bags, but I figured I would give it a try again. 

Thanks for the info.  I picked up a few yesterday and will probably get more next week when I clean up some space for storage.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The Walmart sale ends Satauday night according to the ad "seven days".
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    RO is my lump of choice from everything I have tried. I picked up a few extra bags on sale. I tried cowboy and didn't like it at all. If it were half price I don't think I would buy it. Just my .02

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Check your Walmarts for Royal Oak.  On Sale for $10.00 for 17.6 bags.  I just picked up 8 bags.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Got me 3 yesterday!

Ricky

Boerne, TX