Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chimney Cap replacement

I recently visited ebay and found a chimney cap replacement made of stainless steel for the daisy wheel on the big green egg.  Anyone have or ever use one of these caps?  They were priced around $40. 

Comments

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    thanks Plano II  I just purchased on the these bad boys  saw a few videos where they were being used
  • Plano_JJ said:

www.eggware.net.

Awesome stuff.

+1. Used mine for two or three cooks now. It's great being able to lift the lid without your setting going away every time.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    yeah that was always a pain and the fact that the daisy would fall off and possibly break.   looks like eggware is going to be coming out with more upgradeable gadgets too
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have no problem with the factory unit -- line up the screws, open and close it - stays at the same setpoint !  The methods i use, i really don't do a whole lot of adjusting of the vents.  The stainless one is real pretty, but i can't justify changing over, and for the little bit of adjusting i do use would require another learning course..
  • I also didn't have a rain cap. The Eggware cap solved my problem with that. 
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I have no problem with the factory unit -- line up the screws, open and close it - stays at the same setpoint !  The methods i use, i really don't do a whole lot of adjusting of the vents.  The stainless one is real pretty, but i can't justify changing over, and for the little bit of adjusting i do use would require another learning course..
    I dropped my DFMT once from a height of about 2 feet. Ever since then, it was never tight enough, despite tightening the screws etc. Whenever the lid was opened, it would swing one way or another and would have to be reset - no matter which way the crew was facing.  I  found the changing between DFMT and ceramic cap annoying, and also was worried that one of my friends would fling open the lid when visiting and send the cap crashing to the ground.  The eggware steel cap is truly dual function (actually triple) since it is a rain cap, extinguishing cap, and vent adjuster all in one product. IMO, it was money well spent.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @caliking

the other day my father in law was gonna fling open my small while we were cooking for mothers day, before I knew what I did I slapped his hand!! He looked at me all wild eye'd and confused, I just said, "be careful, you've gotta know how to touch these things"

Awkward moment!

XLBGE 
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    That's hilarious MCN! Hopefully you will be able to look back and laugh at that moment with him. What you said is true and he should also know man law and ask before he messes with someone else's pit!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @caliking

the other day my father in law was gonna fling open my small while we were cooking for mothers day, before I knew what I did I slapped his hand!! He looked at me all wild eye'd and confused, I just said, "be careful, you've gotta know how to touch these things"

Awkward moment!
    sounds like you had some explaining to do huh. Did ya tell him "that's mine don't touch" 
    =)) =))
    Large, small, and a mini
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Just have the pup learning MINE is a father in law easier?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @MCN: that happens often enough. The BGE looks cool and green and everyone wants to open it and peek inside, without knowing that the cap can fall off and break. That's why I like the eggware cap.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.