Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Ribs are on

Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put the ribs on. They are sitting in a rib rack which is sitting in a foil drip pan which is sitting on the grate which is on the fire ring which is over some mesquite chunks which are over some royal oak lump (enough detail?). Temp is creeping its way up to 200. I wish to stop it around 220ish. I'm thinking 3-3.5 hours. What's the best way to know they are done perfectly without taking em out? I normally just eyeball 'em but I'm going to have some guests and I've been talking some trash about how these are going to be the best they've ever had and I don't want to disappoint. Also, my setup is a little tenuous. I've used ST's rib rack in the Small before and had forgotten that we had to "modify" it (ie - bend two of the prongs) so it would fit. I neglected to do this so it's pretty much just jammed in there.[p]Anyway, off to make a simple mop (leftover rub, apple cider vinegar, and whatever else catches the eye) and some Memphis Magic Q sauce from Smoke and Spice.[p]Good eats to all,
Cornfed

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Cornfed,
    Since your going indirect with the cook kick up the heat to about 260*. Your time estimation seems about right. When the ends retreat up the bone abut 1/4" pierce with a 2 tine fork. If it comes out easy with just a little resistance they be done. Since you are planning to mop the time will have to be adjusted upward to compensate for the heat loss each time you open the EGG. By mopping you will find it harder to maintain a level dome heat.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    JJ,[p]Thanks for the advice. I'm only planning on mopping maybe twice. Once after around 2 hours then once 30 minutes before the expected finish time. Does that make sense? I know there's a debate about whether or not mopping makes sense in the first place but I thought I'd try for the heck of it and see if it adds any flavor.[p]Your point about the temp variations from opening the lid are well taken. My temp control issues with the Small have always been in regards to keeping the temp low. I always remove all charcoal and ash before each cook so my theory is that I get really good airflow and the temp always seems to want to get away from me on the high side. Spin gave me detailed step by step instructions on maintaining 200-220 in the Small at E2K (I'm sometimes a little obtuse to the obvious and sometimes need these things spelled out for me).[p]Anyway, thanks again and I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JJ,
    Dang. The same kind of straight forward advice that always comes through!! A two tine fork is a piece I don't have in my collection, but I can see where it would work well for testing. A polder probe being single maybe gives you too little to go on, and a multi pronged fork has too many prongs which not only makes it tougher to judge, but pokes a bunch of holes in your meat. I bask in your wisdom.[p]Hope you are getting some time to cook this weekend.
    Best to you and Kathy.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Cornfed,
    I usually cook my ribs for 4.5-5.5 hours at 220 turning them every two hours. These are for standard spare ribs. If cooking baby backs then usually 2.5-3.5 hours is enough.[p]Ribs are done when the internal temperature of the meat reaches 180 F, when the meat is fork-tender and when the ends of the bone extend 3/8" from the meat.[p]The longer you can hold the internal meat temperature at 156F the better. At this temperature the fat will render out which will remove much of the fat pockets in the ribs. Keeping the fatiest part of the ribs on top will allow the rendered fat to keep the ribs moist.[p]To make the ribs fall-off-the-bone tender you can wrap the ribs in foil after they are done and spritz with some apple juice and cook for 30-60 min more (220-250F).

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Nature Boy,
    All 4 of my smokers will be going.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JJ,
    Yeeeee Ha!! Who need firworks.
    I'll be pounding the keys, and movin' the mouse around for another 16 hours today, but will brine a whole chicken tonight to cook tomorrow.[p]Have a great weekend.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Mr Beer, daz da way I try to do em tooooo...except for the apple juice and I do that next time. My favorites is "Loin back's" or "baby back's".
    Good post!