Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig question for Newbie

Options
I have been looking at buying an adjustable rig set-up for my LBGE. I am looking at either the starter combo package, or the customer combo package, but am having a hard time choosing. I have the plate setter, so wondering if that works with the AR, or would I need their stone that comes with? Or does anyone have any recommendations towards the large Woo ring, since I do have the plate setter?

I primarily use my egg for steaks, ribs, chickens, burgers....but I would really love to start doing butts, briskets, multiple items on one cook.

Any help is much appreciated for this newbie!

Thanks
Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comments

• Hogman348
    Hogman348 Posts: 70
    Options
    i got the AR starter combo for xmas. Since then i have bought several other pieces. For my combo i picked the 16.5 round grid. i should have picked the oval grid instead so i had to still order one afterwards. The oval grid is longer and better for cooking ribs and long pieces of meat. Plus you can use it later on the slide guide bars if you go that route.

I also preferred the oval ceramic stone versus the 13" round so you will have more indirect coverage when also doing longer meats.

I havent used the spider yet. I'm still trying to get my hands on a 13" CI grid. supposedly my local dealer has one on order for me. but ive been waiting over a month.

My advice is to choose wisely, think about the cooks you will be doing.... and expect to love all the accessories and you will probably continue to add to your AR collection.

:)
    Woodstock, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Call Tom at CGS. He is on this forum as well as @tjv.

He will walk you through and ask what you like to cook to get you the perfect set-up without buying unnecessary parts. 940.387.0100
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just call Tom and he will walk to thru it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited May 2013
    Options
    you do not use the platesetter with the AR. You'll need the stone. I have the oval combo and really like it. If you want to go 3 levels, get the spider and small stone as well. 

The spider is great for 

1) searing down by the lump with the 13.5" cast iron BGE grid (great for the cooks you do now)
    2) wokking (really cool way to cook on the egg so order your wok from Tom when you order your spider)
    3) 3 level cooks on your rig (you'll also need the rig extender, small stone, and extra grid for this.

So here is my set up and I love it:

AR Oval combo with spider and rig extender. I also have the 13.5" small BGE cast iron grid, spider, and wok. 

I need to add the small stone and extra oval grid for 3 level cooks. I would have ordered them at the same time had I known.

It's a great tool. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • golfandgrill
    golfandgrill Posts: 198
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input, it is much appreciated.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    I have the woo3. You can use the plate setter with that. It also has the lower rack for searing if you want to put a CI grate down there. As for multi-lvl, I am waiting on another thread to see if a rig is available. Should be near the top of the discussions if you want to take a look.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Call Tom at CGS. He is on this forum as well as @tjv.

He will walk you through and ask what you like to cook to get you the perfect set-up without buying unnecessary parts. 940.387.0100

+1

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL