Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a brine recipe for smoking fish??

Options
I want to smoke some Amberjack and need a recipe for the brine.  After looking through the internet, i am finding some much different salt contents which doesn't sound right.  Does antbody have a proven brine recipe??  Thanks 

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Basic brine for us is 1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Then to that add any herbs, spices or aromatics you like with the type of protein you are brining.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    For fish we have used the basic brine recipe and added 2 sliced lemons, 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill and 1/4 cup/6 cloves coarsely chopped garlic. Combine everthing in a large pot, bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp. then refrigerate to cool to 40 degrees or less.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Thanks Billy, that sounds about like what i used to do years ago.  Think i used to add the fish to the brine for like 6 to 8 hours, then set it out at room temperature to get that slime on it before smoking?
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    I don't know thirdeye but this is his dry brine recipe I've used for smoke salmon with great success. Brine overnight and then rinse off and air dry in fridge for a few hours. Good for about 2.5 -3 lbs of fish
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    Rinse, rinse, rinse...did I mention don't forget to rinse.