Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need a brine recipe for smoking fish??

I want to smoke some Amberjack and need a recipe for the brine.  After looking through the internet, i am finding some much different salt contents which doesn't sound right.  Does antbody have a proven brine recipe??  Thanks 
·

Comments

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    Basic brine for us is 1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Then to that add any herbs, spices or aromatics you like with the type of protein you are brining.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    For fish we have used the basic brine recipe and added 2 sliced lemons, 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill and 1/4 cup/6 cloves coarsely chopped garlic. Combine everthing in a large pot, bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp. then refrigerate to cool to 40 degrees or less.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Thanks Billy, that sounds about like what i used to do years ago.  Think i used to add the fish to the brine for like 6 to 8 hours, then set it out at room temperature to get that slime on it before smoking?
    ·
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    I don't know thirdeye but this is his dry brine recipe I've used for smoke salmon with great success. Brine overnight and then rinse off and air dry in fridge for a few hours. Good for about 2.5 -3 lbs of fish
    ·
  • GramblerGrambler Posts: 142
    Rinse, rinse, rinse...did I mention don't forget to rinse.
    ·