Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need a brine recipe for smoking fish??

I want to smoke some Amberjack and need a recipe for the brine.  After looking through the internet, i am finding some much different salt contents which doesn't sound right.  Does antbody have a proven brine recipe??  Thanks 
·

Comments

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    Basic brine for us is 1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Then to that add any herbs, spices or aromatics you like with the type of protein you are brining.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    For fish we have used the basic brine recipe and added 2 sliced lemons, 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill and 1/4 cup/6 cloves coarsely chopped garlic. Combine everthing in a large pot, bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp. then refrigerate to cool to 40 degrees or less.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Thanks Billy, that sounds about like what i used to do years ago.  Think i used to add the fish to the brine for like 6 to 8 hours, then set it out at room temperature to get that slime on it before smoking?
    ·
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    I don't know thirdeye but this is his dry brine recipe I've used for smoke salmon with great success. Brine overnight and then rinse off and air dry in fridge for a few hours. Good for about 2.5 -3 lbs of fish
    ·
  • GramblerGrambler Posts: 142
    Rinse, rinse, rinse...did I mention don't forget to rinse.
    ·