Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Pork Shoulder

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

My local market did not have any bone-in pork shoulder yesterday so I purchased 2 - 4.5lb boneless shoulders. Looking to make pulled pork for tonight...any idea how long these will take? Thinking of cooking at 250 degrees..sound right? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• badbruce
    Options
    Mornin' David,
    I'm used to doing 10/11 lbers, bone-in @ 230 dome for about 22 hours.
    Last 2 butts were Costco sans bone 5 lb.ers & took 16 & 20 hours. I haven't got it down yet.
    I think the best way is to wait for an internal temp of 195/200 and then you know it's done.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    David,[p]The best way to figure the time is 2 hours per pound. More than enough . . . usually. Three weeks ago I did a 10.5 pound pork shoulder (same cooking times as a butt) and I figured 21 hours. Ended up with my first 24 hour cook since getting my Egg 6 years a ago. In the past I've had 10 lbers which should have taken 20 hours by those calculations cook in less than 12 hours. Cooked through to 200º tasted just fine. I think I would rather hold a butt or shoulder in the cooker for a few hours than have a bunch of guests sitting around wondering what was going on. I've held butts and shoulders for 5 hours and felt very confident they would be fine. At that poiont they were all HOT as hell when I pulled them. Get your dome temp to 250º otherwise it will take a lot longer to cook the meat. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    David,
    Well, when asked how long a man's legs should be, Abraham Lincoln reportedly answered, "Long enough to reach the ground." FWIW, I just finished pulling a 5 pound butt that took 12 hours at 223 degrees.[p]TNW[p]P.S. I know one other clever answer from Abraham Lincoln, and you can be sure I'll use it if ever appropriate... LOL!

The Naked Whiz
  • David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    Sundown et all,[p]Thanks for the tips!!
    David

• I just picked up a 11lb boneless shoulder at Costco, and was preparing for about 20 hour cook. However, I just opened up the packet to start preparing it, and that darn thing is in two pieces, so about 5.5lb each. How does this affect my cook time now? I was going to throw them on at about 1pm this afternoon, now I'm stumped.