Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newby Egg Head- two cooks under my belt

Options

Team Eggies-

After two cooks I'm already addicted, and searching for more recipes to create. Can someone answer a rookie question please?

What does it mean when someone's cooking method is 3-1-1.

Thanks!

Comments

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options
    Don't have an answer for your question but welcome aboard.  I'm a newbie as well with a few cooks under my belt.  Even got my wife to cook last night.  Loving the Egg.

Charlie
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That's for ribs and cooking time with foil. 3 hours no foil, 1 hour foil, 1 hour no foil. You'll see different times but the principle is the same.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    welcome!  This is a great forum where you can find answers to just about any question you have. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    The first 4 hours are indirect. Some of the last hour can be direct to get a nice bark on the ribs.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Understand there are many ways to "skin a cat" and that is true in "EGGIN"!  You will see many,many methods for ribs and other things that work for those who recommend them, but they might be cooking at a higher or lower temperature -- or "direct"  or  "indirect" --  "foiled" or "unfoiled".  So sit back and digest what you read, study the pictures, before you jump into a cook.  Then when you find something that works for you, remember that one, or if you try something different and it comes out better  --- POST it, so we can try it!!! 

• smokinsooner
    smokinsooner Posts: 161
    Options

Welcome MPS!

The people on this forum can how you how to do things you never dreamnt of. 

(most of which, is legal).

Just read... and ask questions!

BOOMER!