Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK Pizza gurus I have a question?

Options
Mross
Mross Posts: 338
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Do any of you build your pies on aluminum pizza pans and then cook directly on the pan on top of the pizza stone?
Duncan, SC

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Are you talking about the perforated(screen) pans?
  • Mross
    Options
    Either the perforated or the solid ones?
    Duncan, SC
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think a metal pan will affect how the crust bakes, if your happy with your results continue doing it.

Gehard

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    No, but I have cooked them on the metal pan, three green feet and then the PS legs down. That was before I got a pizza stone, though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    edited May 2013
    Options
    i do pan pizza sometimes, works fine, temps under 500 indirect. i believe theses are all steel but have used aluminum as well

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Always directly on the stone for me.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I use pizza pans with hundreds of little "stars' punched in the bottom, they are aluminum.  This allows me to build the pizza right on the pan and handle it, in and out, of the egg.  I place the pan on top of the ceramic and everythig cooks perfect -- the pizza turns crispy and tan, with hundreds of little stars on the bottom.  The crust is perfect, because we build thin dough pizzas and they come out crispy enough to hold a slice "straight out" without bending.  The cheese on top browns nicely.  So i don't have a problem with sticking dough or parchment paper???  I cook direct - grid at gasket level - ceramic on top of the platesetter at a dome temperature of 550 to 600 degrees. 
  • Mross
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Charlie Tuna that was what I was looking for. I figured that placing the pan directly on the stone would work fine.
    I will attempt our first pizza tonight.
    Duncan, SC
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I corrected myself because it wasn't indirect, but direct - grid at gasket level with ceramic on top of the grid - pizza pan on top of the ceramic.  Sorry about that!!
  • Mross
    Options
    Pizza fail. Total pizza fail. Set up was perfect. Temp was not. Store bought dough that tasted like dirt. Egg never got above 425. Finished in oven. Could not figure out why egg would not get above 400 until end when I realized I was cooking on 1/2 the lump I needed. Will try again with homemade dough and enough lump to get temps up.
    Duncan, SC
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Home made dough is the way to go, kind of a pain, but i always make a double batch, use one and refrigerate the other and keep for about a week, that way we know what we are dealing with.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    PS legs up
    grate
    3 firebricks used to raise the stone higher into the dome.

get the temps north of 550 - preferably north of 600  (fill the firebox and open 'er up wide open.)
    let it get hot for at least 45 minutes to make sure the stone gets to that temp as well.  I have a wooden pizza peel and I build the pizza on the new foil/parchment paper from Reynolds, foil side down.  I then let it bake until it almost done, then pull parchment and let the bottom get that almost golden brown. Did one last week and it turned out perfect!!!!!