Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's Throw It Down!!!

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    @henapple...yes,I left that part out. I used the same BBQ sauce to glaze the last 15 minutes.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I haven't seen anyone do that... It REALLY looks good. Great finish.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

@SmokeyPitt, when you are getting the attention of people who just happen to be passing by and glancing at a computer screen out of the corner of their eye (like Mrs. Fletcherfam), you have really hit it out of the park.  That ought to get bonus points.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

So nothing to creative or fancy, marinated in the wifes soya sauce (soya, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, teriyaki) a sweet and hot, (mixture of bbq sauce, hot sauce and seasoning) and the 3 rd was just rubbed with 2 different seasonings. Twice baked potatoes and corn on the cob. The bread is some mixture of cheese, ranch dressing, green onion.  The chicken looks burn, but was not, turned out great, its just the dark soya mix. Was quite a challenge getting everything on the egg, but it all worked out. And I think I have now convinced the wife to get a swing rack. Have a great  weekend everyone!

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Nom noms!!!  I'd tear that up!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    Alberta... Would you share the soya amounts. Looks great.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That does it. i have to quit my day job otherwise i'll never catch up with trying so many awesome recipes. Damn you guys and your fantastic chicken cooks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    "Bump"
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    Dude, that's what I call presentation.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    henapple said:

Dude, that's what I call presentation.

+ 1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    fishlessman is trolling birds by putting chicken wings in his bird bath. Well played, sir!
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    henapple said:
    Alberta... Would you share the soya amounts. Looks great.

Henapple, sorry for the delay in the reply, busy weekend.

She is not sure where she got it from, family I would guess. She sort of just wings it but these are her rough amounts.

1 cup soya

4 tbsp brown sugar

2 tsp ginger

1/4 cup katchup

1/4 cup teriyaki (optional)

2 tsp garlic powder

She usually marinates for 4 to 6 hours, I make extra sauce so i can paste and get a good crust. Let me know when you try it. hope you like it.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    C'mon folks, let's see your cooks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @henapple,
    Don't be a fricken Chicken. Repost that cook over here so we can vote on it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2013
    NM- Going to try to get the photos to format corrctly
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • god I hate the way photos format on here....geez
  • Little Steven
    I used to click on the thumbnail in photobucket to enlarge and copy and paste in the post. Can't do that anymore. I now copy the thumbnail and paste but the result is a small pic that doesn't enlarge

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• well, if they have the correct orientation on my iphone, they are sideways on my computer. If they are right on my computer....well, you get it. 
  • Little Steven
    edited May 2013

Can anybody help me post a large pic please? Used to be able to copy and paste but no more

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well, I didn't take a picture of it raw, so my entry doesn't comport with the rules of the throwdown (and can't compete with prior entries, at any rate), but I posted this cook last night, and since it's chicken, I'll repost it here, just in the spirit of things.  

I came up with an initial idea and, as always, got great advice from my fellow Eggers:  here, @Eggcelsior, @Charlie tuna, and @SmokeyPitt.

Four chicken breasts.(these still had the tenderloin on - from Costco)
    1/3 cup pine nuts
    The biggest shallot you can find (or two small ones), peeled and diced
    A reasonable bunch - say, 18-24 shoots - of garlic chives (or regular chives), chopped
    6 oz. (roughly) cream cheese
    2T (roughly) grated Parmesan

Set the cream cheese on the counter to come up to room temperature.  Butterfly the chicken breasts and pound them flat.  Toast pine nuts until just browned (we do about 3 minutes in the toaster oven on the medium toast setting).  In a shallow sauce pan or small sauteuse, saute shallots and garlic chives with salt and pepper in butter until softened.  Remove pan from heat and add cream cheese, parmesan, and pine nuts, and stir to soften the cream cheese and combine.  Top the flattened breasts with equal amounts of the mixture, and roll tightly around the filling.  Wrap with two (or more, I suppose) thick-cut slices of uncured bacon, and secure with a pair of 6" wooden skewers.

Light the Egg and bring it up to temp - about 375*.  Add two medium (half-fist-sized) chunks of applewood to the center of the fire.  Put on the platesetter, legs up, and whatever rig you want to use to get the breasts high up in the dome.  I used, on advice, the three-tier BGE rig and put the breasts all the way up top.  Cook until the internal temp hits 160* in the fattest part of the breast (and double-check that the filling hits 160*, too, since it's been in contact with raw chicken), flipping once when the bacon starts to crisp (again, this was on excellent advice I received, and you can monitor it through the top vent of the Egg).

Sorry to basically repost something I posted on its own thread, but I didn't see this throwdown thread until afterward.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @SaturdayFatterday: Those look and sound great!  Love the color...nice browned chicken that looks like it fused with the bacon :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• @SmokeyPitt: thanks!  I owe it all to the good advice I got.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Little Steven
    edited May 2013

Steve 

Caledon, ON