Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Manly Salad

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Still trying to eat healthy whenever possible. Plain salad is getting boring, so why not add some steak to it and make it manly?

Took a flat iron out to defrost and then marinated it in red wine with some sprigs of rosemary and thyme from our garden, couple of bay leaves, 1/2 onion roughly chopped and 4 or 5 cloves of garlic roughly chopped for about 4 hours.

While that was marinating, I whipped up a horseradish dressing. First time grating horseradish...that'll clear up your sinuses nicely. Let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

• 1 cup  mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup grated horseradish (yes, freshly grated, not out of a jar. I’m not sure how much you would use if you use the jarred stuff)
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (we like Louisiana hot sauce, but Franks or Tabasco or whatever you prefer will be fine)

Fired up the Egg at around 600F and grilled the flat iron steak about 2 minutes per side and pulled it roughly around 135 and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

While it was resting, we tossed the salad with the dressing. Time to slice, ain't that purdy?

Layed the strips of steak on top of the salad and then shaved some thin slices of Parmesan on top.

I was really impressed with the salad. It was filling and mostly healthy except for that cup of mayo (we did use light mayo, though). Horseradish always pairs nicely with beef and it gave the dressing just a hint of heat, but it was also, cool, creamy and refreshing. I went to bed satisfied. We've been so busy and out of town much, I haven't had much chance to get on the Egg, so it was nice to get back to grilling again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks and sounds wonderful.  The horseradish dressing is an awesome idea- I haven't thought of trying to grate it fresh.  This is on my menu this week- thanks!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    +1 On the freshly grated horseradish.. I haven't considered doing that. Was it worth it?
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    with the horseradish, foodprocessor outdoors and dont put your face near it
    :)) looks good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    I think it was worth it. I've never done it before, but its not hard. Get a knife or potato peeler and take the outer skin off and then I used a micro plane to grate it. I'm trying to cut out processed foods where ever I can. I knew we were out of the jarred stuff (Mrs. G finished it off with some Bloody Marys awhile back). I was at the store and I saw horseradish right there by the peppers and mushrooms so I figured why not? I don't know what they put in the jarred stuff, if anything, but its extra "stuff" and can't be as healthy as fresh.

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    For horseradish, look for Kosher stuff or stuff that has a minimum or horseradish root, salt, and vinegar. When you grate it and let it sit the enzymatic reaction makes it hotter and hotter. The vinegar stops this process. The good ones let the horseradish sit a bit before adding the vinegar.
  • Griffin
    Good to know. The jarred horseradish I've been using prior was sourced from the Kosher part of our grocery store (very Jewish neighborhood).

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Linda said this would be done Sat or Sun. So Griff, what time will you guys be here to get it started.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    If you expect me to cook it Saturday, you better bring your flip flops, swim trunks and a towel down to Corpus. We can either do it at the beach or by the pool, but it won't be done on an Egg. Or you could meet us at the ranch Sunday. No....scratch that...Mrs. G already told me we're frying fish, shrimp, mushrooms, hush puppies and onion rings on Sunday. Maybe some okra.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Good eats! The dressing sounds phenomenal.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Had a small piece of flank steak left over, tried your dressing both of us loved it thanks Jackh
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Looks great! Love doing this with London broils...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Man your hand must have been tired if you roughly chopped garlic for 4 hours B-)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Looks fantastic, Grif! I just pulled a flat iron out of the freezer myself.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I love flat iron... The most overlooked beef. Nice cook and pics... As usual.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN