Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baton Rouge BBQ

Apologize. Am 'stuck' in Red Stick today and tomorrow for son's grad ceremony at LSU (sorry, with kidz it's collidge, jale, or rehab ye know so this one's collidge!).
Would love recommendation or two for good La. BBQ around BR and even for day trippin' out and about tomorrow. Again, sorry!

Comments

• FriscoFrog
    FriscoFrog Posts: 18

Spend a few nights a month in BTR....pretty much stick to their seafood choices when I'm in town but have had Voodoo which is pretty good.  I think Pimanyoli's sidewalk cafe is the 1b choice.

Lot's will put TJ's as the 3rd but IMO its ok but not great.

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Where do uou like for seafood, FriscoFrog?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I'd be lookin for crawfish, boudain, Andouille and gator. When in Rome as they say

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FriscoFrog
    FriscoFrog Posts: 18

That's opening it up for sure....one thing I have learned is that people in BTR are passionate about is LSU athletics, tailgating and food....with seafood being a widely debated topic.

Really depends on what type of seafood (oysters, raw bar, fried, etc) I'm in the mood for and if entertaining clients or not.

Chimes and Parrains are my go to for moderately priced and good all around.  Chimes better to eat and watch a game.  Location by campus has a great atmosphere when school is in session.

I like Juban's (soft shell crab) and Galatiores for clients

Mike Anderson's for BBQ Shrimp only.

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Baton Rouge does not equal BBQ.  If you want to splurge a little head for Mansur's ,  Juban's, or Louisiana Lagniappe for seafood dishes.  Acme has good chargrilled oysters, red beans, and fried seafood.  
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Sammy's is an awesome restaurant with many different choices. There is one on Highland right outside the LSU campus going East. You are not going to find the kind of BBQ you are looking for in BR. Chimes has excellent food as well, there is one on the LSU Campus on the corner of Chimes and Highland and there is one on Coursey Blvd just west of Sherwood Forest Blvd. TJ Rib has some pretty good ribs, their Memphis ribs are pretty good. In all honesty the babybacks we cook on the Egg are better. But if you have to have BBQ, TJ's would suffice. There is one right next to the Interstate on Acadian Thruway and one on Siegen lane just south of Airline Hwy. These choices should keep you drunk and full.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Thanks, guys, got it! (I aplogize for being a coon ass in asking about BBQ when we should be going out for Cajun!)
  • SteveWPBFL
    @ Chimes! Wunderbar!
  • Plano_JJ
    Oh yeah, almost forgot Brew Bachers. Its at Drusilla Ln and the Interstate. Bar and Grill dive type of a place but excellent food. Been there forever. Enjoy.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just asking why? People from all over the country come there for non-BBQ.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SteveWPBFL
    Mickey - I apologize. I posted that before coffee this morning. Came to my senses, though. Went for the seafood gumbo and red beans and sausage at Chimes. Chased it down with three Green Flash IPAs. Son was the star, though. Love LSU, too. The world is aglow. . . .
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    I am going to second Voodo BBQ I found it in New Orleans and just found out there is one in Baton Rouge . It is pretty good BBQ with 3 different kinds of sauce on the table, and the helpings are good also
    ^:)^

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • SteveWPBFL
    Sorry, here's where we are now, getting 'Cajun BBQ' (jambalaya, gumbo, red beans & sausage, boudin) at Tony's !!!
  • Plano_JJ
    Tony's, awesome. Every time we head back to TX from a trip home we hit Tony's and stock up on seafood. Tell me you got some hot boudin balls.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Fried Boudin Balls are killer
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SteveWPBFL
    edited May 2013
    Sorry. Here's Tony's! You can buy all the ingredients or they have already made it for you. We walked out of there with a 2 ft x 2 ft x 3 ft shopping bag for lunch. Seafood gumbo. Chicken and sausage gumbo. Jambalaya. Boudin balls. Crawfish boudin. Sausage. And some other things. If you like SALAD, don't go to Tony's!

P.S. When I said I was looking for some BBQ in Baton Rouge it was under the auspices that the BBQ would be a form of Cajun BBQ. But that was not the case. We went by Voodoo, too, but opted again for Chimes, they had Green Flash IPA, which is a new favorite. And they had this pepper jelly vinaigrette that was out of this world. (Yes, we got a little cajuned-out there and had to have some lettuce......). Best thing was son walking and getting his sheepskin. Onward!  
  • Plano_JJ
    Sorry. Here's Tony's! You can buy all the ingredients or they have already made it for you. We walked out of there with a 2 ft x 2 ft x 3 ft shopping bag for lunch. Seafood gumbo. Chicken and sausage gumbo. Jambalaya. Boudin balls. Crawfish boudin. Sausage. And some other things. If you like SALAD, don't go to Tony's!

P.S. When I said I was looking for some BBQ in Baton Rouge it was under the auspices that the BBQ would be a form of Cajun BBQ. But that was not the case. We went by Voodoo, too, but opted again for Chimes, they had Green Flash IPA, which is a new favorite. And they had this pepper jelly vinaigrette that was out of this world. (Yes, we got a little cajuned-out there and had to have some lettuce......). Best thing was son walking and getting his sheepskin. Onward!  
    Of all the awesome places in BR to get good food, you found one of the best with Tony's.