Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib eye-steak

Options
savy
savy Posts: 15
Hi guys, just need some few tips how you would cook this bad boy(Just over 1 inch)? Thank you. 

1.jpg 130.4K
2.jpg 112.4K

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Now i like my steak medium rare- to rare, and looking at the thickness of this steak i think i could get a good sear on both sides without overcooking it as long as it was cold at the start..  Jusy my $.02
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I would cook it at around 350 until it is 110 internal, take it off, crank the Egg wide open, wait about 10 minutes and then sear it on both sides for about 30 seconds a side.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Reverse sear for edge to edge pink like Hi54putty said. Money every time.
  • savy
    savy Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I will try a reverse sear next time Hi54putty. I tried it at 600 degree for 4 min each side, they where very good. 

3.jpg 139.6K
  • SmokyArkie
    SmokyArkie Posts: 65
    Options
    I would definitely reverse sear a good thick ribeye! Start off around 220 then pull it off and cover it while cranking the BGE way up. Finish to taste.
  • Federalist226
    Options
    For thick ribeyes I follow the TREX method. I always get wall to wall medium rare with a nice crust.
  • Egghead123SC
    Options

I agree with reverse sear--I usually cook up on top of adjustable rig indirect at 350 degree dome until about 125 to 130 internal, then pull off, remove adjustable rig and indirect plate, and put in cast iron grate and crank temp to 550 to 600, then sear about 45 seconds to one minute per side, turning 90 degrees halfway each side for nice cross hatch sear marks.

Also, precooking, I like to rub with kosher salt one hour before cooking, then right before cooking brush with tiger sauce and add Montreal Steak seasoning rub