Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's get er done!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Okay guys, going to use this cook for my entry to a throwdown.  My post will include all pics, but voting will only use one pic.  

Which pic should I use for voting?

1:

2: image

3:image

Or one of the other ones...if so, which one?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I like pic #1.  There is something about the uniformity of the pullback on all the bones that just let's you know they were perfect! 

Did you trim these yourself or buy them pre-trimmed?  They look really nice and even.  I have bought St Louis style at Costco before and they didn't do the best job.  Some of the bones were way meatier than others so it was hard to cook them consistently. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    I like pic #1.  There is something about the uniformity of the pullback on all the bones that just let's you know they were perfect! 

Did you trim these yourself or buy them pre-trimmed?  They look really nice and even.  I have bought St Louis style at Costco before and they didn't do the best job.  Some of the bones were way meatier than others so it was hard to cook them consistently. 
    Didn't do anything with them.  Bought them at Costco...swift pre-packed (3 of em in a pack).
  • SmokeyPitt
    cazzy said:Didn't do anything with them.  Bought them at Costco...swift pre-packed (3 of em in a pack).
    Well then...I will have to give them another shot! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    cazzy said:
    Dude you have been eating like crazy!! Those look amazing.
    I eat when i'm sad and i'm sad when I eat!!   :@)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Nice!  Definitely go with pic #1..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,081
    @cazzy-I'm in your camp-no foil, no spray, no flip but I've never gotten such results-great cook.  And I would go with pic #1.  Good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    lousubcap said:

@cazzy-I'm in your camp-no foil, no spray, no flip but I've never gotten such results-great cook.  And I would go with pic #1.  Good luck!

Thanks cap! I'm going to do it again so I ensure it wasn't a fluke lol
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    I'm trying the KISS today! My ribs are usually labor intensive steps I took off of tv competition shows.

Just doing smoke rub and time today ;)

Maybe they'll turn out half as good as your look.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

3 racks of spares cut St. Louis with the big tips while.

XLBGE 
  • cazzy

I'm trying the KISS today! My ribs are usually labor intensive steps I took off of tv competition shows.

Just doing smoke rub and time today ;)

Maybe they'll turn out half as good as your look.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Good luck...you'll love em!

My actually tasted good too! Haha
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I wanted to try the just s&p, but also wanted try new rub a guy sent me. Since its family coming over I didn't want too many choices.

XLBGE 
  • CoolBees
    CoolBees Posts: 32
    These photos are so good, I am licking the computer screen!!

• cazzy
    CoolBees said:

These photos are so good, I am licking the computer screen!!

Thanks for the compliment!!
  • Sorry for the newbie question, but Chubbs' post makes reference to an "AR".  I checked the dictionary, but it's not in there.  Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks

RITC
  • SmokeyPitt
    Sorry for the newbie question, but Chubbs' post makes reference to an "AR".  I checked the dictionary, but it's not in there.  Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks

RITC
    Welcome! 
    Adjustable Rig

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ar 15. ..shoot the cook if the ribs aren't acceptable.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Why can't I see Cazzy's photo's.  All I see is a photobucket logo.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • cazzy
    jhl192 said:

Why can't I see Cazzy's photo's.  All I see is a photobucket logo.  

My account is over bandwidth. Too many people viewing my photos. Sry.
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
  • cazzy said:

Didn't do anything with them.  Bought them at Costco...swift pre-packed (3 of em in a pack).
    Did you pull the membrane off?
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    If that's all you can do..
  • cazzy
    @DoofusOfTheDay

This makes my 3rd time i'm trying to respond.  Damn post approved hack

I'm too lazy for that...plus, that wouldn't be keeping it simple, right?   :P

Honestly, some of the best ribs i've ever had, have the membrane intact.  I have prepared them both ways, and have been unable to tell the difference.  Some people think the cooked membrane is a "tasty treat".  Right @henapple  
  • henapple
    Every man's fantasy is to be watching football and her making trips to the mancave.
  • Beach
    Beach Posts: 7
    I'm a true NOOB to the BGE coming from a Webber. After combing post looking for the method on rib cooking. The KISS method looks the best! No foil, spritz or flip, just season & cook!!! Your ribs look amazing, I hope my first cook turns out just as good
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    cazzy  Dude they look fantastic great job !!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • m_reese
    m_reese Posts: 7
    cazzy said:
    Griffin said:

Pork lollipops!! Looks outstanding. I've become a fan of salt and pepper brisket, guess I need to give it a shot on ribs as well.

You'll never go back! Combined with the oak...these were off the wall.
    Cazzy, I realize this is now a couple years late, but I'm new to the rib game. I'm giving ribs a go for the first time this weekend for my birthday, and this seems like the best/easiest method. I'm guessing these were done at around 250* in the dome, correct? If so, about how long do you think these took. I realize each cut of meat is going to cook a little different, just looking for a ballpark.

Also, did I read this right that you used oak with this pork? I was planning on hickory as I had never thought about using oak w/ pork, but being in Texas, I love me some oak.

Thanks.
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Brother those look awfully tasty looking. Fricken nice job!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Missed this one first time around- @cazzy some of your best work
    Greensboro, NC
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    m_reese said:
    cazzy said:
    Griffin said:

Pork lollipops!! Looks outstanding. I've become a fan of salt and pepper brisket, guess I need to give it a shot on ribs as well.

You'll never go back! Combined with the oak...these were off the wall.
    Cazzy, I realize this is now a couple years late, but I'm new to the rib game. I'm giving ribs a go for the first time this weekend for my birthday, and this seems like the best/easiest method. I'm guessing these were done at around 250* in the dome, correct? If so, about how long do you think these took. I realize each cut of meat is going to cook a little different, just looking for a ballpark.

Also, did I read this right that you used oak with this pork? I was planning on hickory as I had never thought about using oak w/ pork, but being in Texas, I love me some oak.

Thanks.
    Yeah...roll 250 dome, raised indirect.  This cook was oak, but I now do 60/40 oak cherry.  Really like the combo.

I use STL from Costco for this cook, but spares are fine too.  Season with whatever...S&P is great but can be a tad boring. 

Toss them on the egg and let em go for 4 to 5 (depending on which cut you go with) hours before you check them.  Look for visual queues look meat pull back, then you can further check with the bend or toothpick test.  Try to keep your temp steady the whole cook and you'll do just fine.