Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket (finding) help near Philadelphia

I'm having the hardest time finding full briskets near Philadelphia, PA.  In the burbs, no grocery stores seem to carry anything but flats (Giant, Weiss, Acme, Wegmans).  Even Costco and BJs told me that they only carry flats.  Two specialty butcher shops told me that they can get them, one said $7.99/lb., the other $8.99!  I just want some cryovacced packers to choose from, but I have not found one place in my travels that carries cryo.

Anyone help?

Comments

• pacobox
    pacobox Posts: 8
    @batboy if you have any luck, let me know! i've heard restaurant depot / jetro down by the stadiums might have them, but havent wandered down there yet.  

otherwise if you're going to pay that much, i'd suggest mail order from creekstone (free delivery but 14-16 lb is $109, so it's about $7.75/lb.).

i'm sitting at my desk in center city trying to find brisket somewhere near this city!
  • Biggins
    Biggins Posts: 16
    I usually knock on the Butcher window at Costco in Warminster and ask for a brisket still in Cryovac. They'll go in the back and dig one up. Otherwise, I usually hit a local butcher.
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    I can only get flats at the Costco in north east Baltimore, but my Wegmans carries full packers (Hunt Valley, MD) and I always have about 8-10 to choose from.. I bet you could ask the butchers at Wegmans to order some, since they carry them in other stores relatively close.
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • JaredMD
    Sorry - forgot to mention - I want to say the last packer I bought was about $5/lb, but I know that's not very helpful without actual numbers and quality.. next time I pick one up (likely for memorial day) I'll let you know what the actual figures look like.
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Both meat places in the Reading Terminal have them. I got an 8-pound packer fully trimmed for $3.50 a pound at Martin's. While you're there, stock up on their house-made sausages. If you have the cash and the room, get a couple of baby backs; the best I've ever purchased. If you're looking for steak, head to Guinta's (owned by a brother of Martin's owner). Thick-slice bacon is a specialty at Smucker's meats. 

If you don't know, you can park in the garage next to the terminal for two hours at $4 if you get your ticket validated by a vendor. Both meat places are open Sunday, too (not everything is). The Amish are there Thursday-Saturday. Leave time to wander if you can; fantastic fish/shellfish, great cheeses, bulk spices, farm stand produce, and just about any food you'd like at relatively reasonable prices. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    JaredMD said:
    Sorry - forgot to mention - I want to say the last packer I bought was about $5/lb, but I know that's not very helpful without actual numbers and quality.. next time I pick one up (likely for memorial day) I'll let you know what the actual figures look like.

I shop the Hunt Valley Wegman's as well, and their iPhone app is quoting $4.99/lb for brisket, so your memory is pretty solid there.

I haven't done one on the egg yet, but I have had good luck with them for a braised  brisket I cook often.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @JaredMD

If you can make the trip to Oella(near Catonsville) check out JW Treuth's. They have full packers for 3.99/lb and some times 2.99/lb. They also have great steaks - they are a source for Peter Luger's(at least they say)
  • Eggcelsior
    @Acn, @JaredMD

Also, are they really packers? My Wegmans in Frederick has "First Cut" brisket(Untrimmed flats) that are usually 4-7lbs.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

@eggcelsior - it has been a while since I've gotten one, but I think they generally ran 9-13 pounds; I went through a period when I had to go to Giant for briskets, since the Wegmans ones were too large for the slow cooker.

Also - thanks for the JW Treuth's tip - that is only like 20 minutes from my house, and even less from the office, will have to check it out!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JaredMD
    @Acn, @JaredMD

Also, are they really packers? My Wegmans in Frederick has "First Cut" brisket(Untrimmed flats) that are usually 4-7lbs.
    You know, they may not be.. and that's probably just my inexperience.. they're much different than the flats that costco sells, and definitely have a point on them, but they don't have the same huge flap that I've seen in some of the videos I've watched. 

I'll definitely check out JW Treuth's!  I'm always on the lookout for a good source for meat.  Thanks man!  

(Sorry to derail @batboy's thread about Philly briskets)
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    @batboy, I'm sorry too. Just saw some MD eggers floating around.

@hapster is in the philly area I think and gets his packers from some type of farmers market.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited May 2013

I've had luck at the Giant in Springfield, PA, but they normally don't have them just sitting out. You'll have to knock on the butcher's window and ask. Picked up a 12 lb er last Friday night. There was a new guy in the butcher section and he brought out a full case of them. Big mistake on his part! I was picking and bending briskets for 15 minutes until I got the best one. The wife wanted to kill me.

You can also try the Boothwyn farmers market, but again you'll normally have to ask or order in advance and you'll normally get a few or just one option.

Your best bet for selection, consistency and a low price is a place like Restaurant Depot. You can pick from 20 different sizes as opposed to being handed one from the back. If your a KCBS member they will allow you to shop without a membership.

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    If you are near Lansdale, I have seen them at Lansdale meats before.  Can't remember the price, but was not out of the ordinary.  Could call them ahead just to make sure they have one for you.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2013
    I get mine at joes meat market in glenside full packer briskets last one was 3.49 a pound if i recall right .he's got tri-tips hanger steaks and can order pretty much anything. great people to deal with .its a old fashion shop family owned .in fact we buy all our meats from them boston butts ,steaks its nice getting steaks cut the way you want rather than what giant and the others cut and if you call by tuesday or  wednesday at the latest i believe he can have what he doesn't by friday 
    Joe's meats 
    2770 Jenkintown Rd
    GlensidePA 19038
    (215) 884-0294
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    You can find them in the $3.49 range at Shady Maple Farmers Market. I would also try Wyebrook Farm in HoneyBrook for grass fed organic raised beef. I'm sure they'd give you whatever cut you're looking for... Shady maple is a good bet though.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Not sure if you have a super Walmart near you but the one closest to me on the Eastern Shore of Maryland normally have them in stock. Since the store opened last fall they have been $2.58 a pound. I went in about a month ago and they had four marked down to $1.81 a pound because there sell be date was six days away. Needless to say I grabbed all four. So you may be able to ask the meat man at Walmart and he can order them. Also if I remember correctly they were excel choice beef. I'll check later when I go to the freezer.
  • batboy
    batboy Posts: 26

Thanks so much for the great responses, many of which are ideas that I had not previously considered.  Some places are just too far and/or inconvenient, but Reading Terminal Market is not too far from my office and I called and they confirmed that they carry inexpensive full briskets.  I also never knew that Philly (and Manyunk) had Restaurant Depots, and that I may qualify for a membership even though I'm not in the biz.

Thanks again for the suggestions

• Eggcelsior
    batboy said:

Thanks so much for the great responses, many of which are ideas that I had not previously considered.  Some places are just too far and/or inconvenient, but Reading Terminal Market is not too far from my office and I called and they confirmed that they carry inexpensive full briskets.  I also never knew that Philly (and Manyunk) had Restaurant Depots, and that I may qualify for a membership even though I'm not in the biz.

Thanks again for the suggestions

If you can't get a membership directly, signing up for KCBS gives you a $35/year membership. You pay that off rather quickly with a few packers from there compared to others.
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    It is a shame that years Brisket was one of the worse cuts of meat and you could get them for just about nothing until someone found that was a great piece of meat to grill, smoke or BBQ, then the rest is history. If you have a Sam's store up there they have them. I was at my local Sam's Wholesale store yesterday and they had plenty at $2.29 pr lb...

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @hapster: You like Wyebrook? They deliver to a shop in Philly where I can pick up orders. I did a pork loin once, and it had more fat on it than meat for $10 a pound. I haven't tried anything else.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • batboy
    batboy Posts: 26
    A big thank you for the Restaurant Depot suggestions.  Made my first visit today and obtained free membership.  That place is incredible.  I found myself walking aisle after aisle thinking about everything I wanted to buy.  And the briskets, oh the briskets ($2.89/lb.!!!) . . . not forgetting the pork butt, pork picnic, pork cushion, beef ribs, beef tenderloin, baby backs, spares, bacon. . . . butcher paper, gloves, tongs, knives, RO charcoal. . . I will be dropping some serious coin there in the future.