Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold shocking meat - Baltimore Pit Beef

Hello! First time posting here!

I recently got an egg and last weekend tried some baltimore pit beef from a recipe here (Griffen i think)... I took the meat off at 115 and let it rest. The temperature peaked at 138 after 1/2 hour or so which resulted in the meat being a little over cooked(it was still very good with the tiger sauce). I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or tried cold shocking meat like you do vegatables to stop the cooking process.

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    What temp and how long?  I think you probably should just pull it a little sooner.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• twelvebeer
    twelvebeer Posts: 36
    r270ba said:
    What temp and how long?  I think you probably should just pull it a little sooner.

I think I seared it @ 350 for 1/2 hour and then cooked it indirect heat @ 350 until internal temp reached 115. I thought about next time taking it off sooner but then thought of putting it in a gallon zip bag and submersing it in an ice bath.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    If it were me I think I would take it off sooner.  I have not done pit beef but I have never 'shocked' meat before...only veggies.  I will obviously defer to someone who has cooked pit beef before but that is my $0.02
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    thats a pretty big rise for a 350 degree dome cook.. did you use foil, im thinking no foil and place it up on a rack when resting?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • twelvebeer
    twelvebeer Posts: 36
    No foil... I may just do an experiment this weekend. Cook two roasts and cold shock one.
  • I would just pull it at a lower temperature. One of the reasons you let meats rest is to allow the heat and moisture to distribute evenly. A cold shock will arrest this process. If you haven't calibrated you thermometers I would recommend that you do. It is the first thing I do when I buy one and before any important cook, such as a family event or cook-off. Once the water is boiling you can do several very quickly.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Interesting idea. But then you have cold meat?!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • This time of year I just put it on my egg table outside

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I am planning on getting a slicer soon and the first thing on the list is some B-more pit beef. Used to live there and one of the things I miss most is the Charcoal Grill in Parkville. Can't wait for that slicer. FEAR the Turtle - UMD
  • Hello! First time posting here!

I recently got an egg and last weekend tried some baltimore pit beef from a recipe here (Griffen i think)... I took the meat off at 115 and let it rest. The temperature peaked at 138 after 1/2 hour or so which resulted in the meat being a little over cooked(it was still very good with the tiger sauce). I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or tried cold shocking meat like you do vegatables to stop the cooking process.

• If you want to stop the cooking process quickly, seal the meat in a food grade bag, like sous vide, and place it in a ice bath (1/2 water and 1/2 ice).  Water dissipates heat (BTU's) ten times faster that air of the same temperature.