Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket help quickly please!!!

Put on a 5 lb single brisket( flat) 45 mins ago. Been at 260 degrees for only 45 mons and internal temp is already 110 degrees. Why so high so fast? I think probe is positioned properly. What do I do? Is this cooking way to quickly?
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
·

Comments

• FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,671
    Might double-check your thermometers. If they are OK then it is just cooking as fast as it is cooking. They are all different.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,248
    A flat typically jumps out of the gate...it will start slowing down around 140ish. Then it will hit a good brick wall when it hits the stall around 160ish.

No worries bruh!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • BeaumontyBeaumonty Posts: 171
    What was it when you put it in? room temperature?  Also, are you cooking indirect?
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,785
    +1 on checking your thermometer. Good Luck
    ·
  • pirates21pirates21 Posts: 67
    52 degrees when I put it in. Indirect. I am just hoping it stalls like Cazzy said. Ugggg..stress on a day off???
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
    ·
  • FlyingTivoFlyingTivo Posts: 341
    You need a lot of liquid.......in your belly!!! Preferably containing -OH!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,248
    pirates21 said:

52 degrees when I put it in. Indirect. I am just hoping it stalls like Cazzy said. Ugggg..stress on a day off???

Happens everytime when I cook a packer...flat flies out of the gate!

The Tortoise (point) and the Hare (flat).
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • JaredMDJaredMD Posts: 59
    Had the same thing happen with a brisket over the weekend.. was planning for a super long cook, but the temp jumped at the beginning and I got scared that it'd be done too quickly (a borderline "first world problem" when compared to the "oh no this is never going to be done in time" ;D).. alas, once it hit 150 the temp went into a crawl.. then the stall around 164 for a good hour.. and then a similar crawl up to temp.. 

I went from worrying that I'd have to FTC for 7 hours to worrying that I wouldn't be able to FTC for more than an hour :)  

It all worked out, of course.. I have to keep reminding myself that:  1. My friends are never on time, and 2. They're never ready to eat the main course as soon as they walk in the door
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
    ·
    Thanks, you guys are awesome. I seem to have stalled at 172.
    ·
  • GlennMGlennM Posts: 405
    Mine is at 192 and it's 4 hours to dinner. What temp should I pull it at and how long can I FTC ? Do you add any liquid when you FTC it? I have a drip pan full but it is mostly fat
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
    ·
    I put mine in foil and liquid( the crutch) after the stall to felt it up to 205. I was worried it would dry out because it was just a flat. FTC in the foil and liquid for 2 hours. Will see how it turns out. Hope this technique works.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,710
    Brisket is finished when you can probe the thickest part of the flat -in and out with no resistance.  This generally happens in the 190-205*F range.  You may or may not be finished at 192*F.  For FTC-you can easily hold for 4 hours as long as you get most of the dead air space out of the cooler.  I don't add liquid to the FTC package but others do-matter of choice.  And when ready to slice-cut against the grain and enjoy.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·