Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help quickly please!!!

Options
Put on a 5 lb single brisket( flat) 45 mins ago. Been at 260 degrees for only 45 mons and internal temp is already 110 degrees. Why so high so fast? I think probe is positioned properly. What do I do? Is this cooking way to quickly?
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Might double-check your thermometers. If they are OK then it is just cooking as fast as it is cooking. They are all different.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    A flat typically jumps out of the gate...it will start slowing down around 140ish. Then it will hit a good brick wall when it hits the stall around 160ish.

No worries bruh!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    What was it when you put it in? room temperature?  Also, are you cooking indirect?
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    +1 on checking your thermometer. Good Luck
    Large, small, and a mini
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    Options
    52 degrees when I put it in. Indirect. I am just hoping it stalls like Cazzy said. Ugggg..stress on a day off???
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    You need a lot of liquid.......in your belly!!! Preferably containing -OH!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    pirates21 said:

52 degrees when I put it in. Indirect. I am just hoping it stalls like Cazzy said. Ugggg..stress on a day off???

Happens everytime when I cook a packer...flat flies out of the gate!

The Tortoise (point) and the Hare (flat).
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Options
    Had the same thing happen with a brisket over the weekend.. was planning for a super long cook, but the temp jumped at the beginning and I got scared that it'd be done too quickly (a borderline "first world problem" when compared to the "oh no this is never going to be done in time" ;D).. alas, once it hit 150 the temp went into a crawl.. then the stall around 164 for a good hour.. and then a similar crawl up to temp.. 

I went from worrying that I'd have to FTC for 7 hours to worrying that I wouldn't be able to FTC for more than an hour :)  

It all worked out, of course.. I have to keep reminding myself that:  1. My friends are never on time, and 2. They're never ready to eat the main course as soon as they walk in the door
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • pirates21
    Options
    Thanks, you guys are awesome. I seem to have stalled at 172.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Mine is at 192 and it's 4 hours to dinner. What temp should I pull it at and how long can I FTC ? Do you add any liquid when you FTC it? I have a drip pan full but it is mostly fat
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • pirates21
    Options
    I put mine in foil and liquid( the crutch) after the stall to felt it up to 205. I was worried it would dry out because it was just a flat. FTC in the foil and liquid for 2 hours. Will see how it turns out. Hope this technique works.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Brisket is finished when you can probe the thickest part of the flat -in and out with no resistance.  This generally happens in the 190-205*F range.  You may or may not be finished at 192*F.  For FTC-you can easily hold for 4 hours as long as you get most of the dead air space out of the cooler.  I don't add liquid to the FTC package but others do-matter of choice.  And when ready to slice-cut against the grain and enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.