Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12 hrs in to a brisket cook and it is only at 170 ?

Options
Millsy
Millsy Posts: 113
I am cooking my first brisket and I am 12 hrs in at 225 and the temp is still only 170.I would never of thought it would take this long

Comments

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I've had a 12-pound packer take almost 24 hours before.  Just be patient and embrace the stall - the results will be worth it.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Millsy
    Options
    I've had a 12-pound packer take almost 24 hours before.  Just be patient and embrace the stall - the results will be worth it.
    24 hrs for a brisket wow,I was kinda thinking it would only take 10-14 hrs for the total cook.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    My experience has been 1.5-2 hours per pound, with 2 hours/lb. being far more common.  It depends on the brisket, but yeah, it takes a while.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Are you cooking at 225 dome or grate temp? If its 225 dome, you may never get there.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Good point, @travisstrick.

• Millsy
    Options
    It is 225 2 in above the brisket.I have a IQUE 110 hooked up for peice of mind overnight .
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Are you cooking at 225 dome or grate temp? If its 225 dome, you may never get there.

You need to bump it up at this point, or foil it, to get it finished. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    With a grate temp in the 250 - 275 range you can cut your time down - and the quality of the brisket is just as good. I typically have mine settled in at 220-230 before I go to bed. After a good night of sleep I check on it and raise the temp to 250 - 275 depending on my time and temp needs.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• travisstrick
    Options
    Good stuff so far. I cook my brisket around 280 grid.
  • Millsy
    Options
    Thanks Guys i will turn her up a bit and see if that helps
  • Millsy
    Options
    Well i wrapped her up and it seemed to help.It took a total of 18 hrs for her to get to 190.thanks for your help boy
  • Millsy
    Options
    Ok thanks for all the help it came out great.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Looks great!

• Millsy
    Options
    I am also wondering what the proper technique for burnt ends is too,any help would be great.
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Options
    Looks great!  Making those first cuts into a brisket fresh out of the cooler is one of the best feelings in the world! ;)
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • Millsy
    edited May 2013
    Options
    JaredMD said:
    Looks great!  Making those first cuts into a brisket fresh out of the cooler is one of the best feelings in the world! ;)
    I was really my first one I have ever done and like you said the antisapation kills you.It came out better than I thought.I just wish I had tried to make burnt ends today though.
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Options

Nice smoke ring,great looking bark,looks juicy. It looks like you nailed it.

Be patient,1 1/2 to 2hrs. per lb. The stall can last for hours,I've heard about a second

stall around 180.Whatever, welcome to the nut house, I mean Green Egg Forum.

Snellville,Ga.
  • Millsy
    Options
    pkaboo1 said:

Be patient,1 1/2 to 2hrs. per lb. The stall can last for hours,I've heard about a second

Thank you,I have been here for a while but It is my first brisket .They dont sell them in stores around here so I have never done one.A friend of mine just got a new egg and I was dropping some apple and oak chunks off to him and he mentioned to me that he would order one through his resturant for me and i jumped all over it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Millsy said:
    pkaboo1 said:

Thank you,I have been here for a while but It is my first brisket .They dont sell them in stores around here so I have never done one.A friend of mine just got a new egg and I was dropping some apple and oak chunks off to him and he mentioned to me that he would order one through his resturant for me and i jumped all over it.
    That is a score! If he uses Sysco as his distributor, they have aged CAB Briskets. They only come in packs of 6 but they are great briskets if you can find a few guys to go in with you. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Someone will chime in on burnt ends, but think its pretty straight forward.

That's a Home run right there!!!!

XLBGE 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Separate the point from the flat.
    Cut the point into 1/2 in cubes
    place in baking pan
    re season and sauce
    put back on egg with new smoke for 30-60 min. 
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    That looks good for your first brisket or your hundredth brisket for that matter.  Congratulations!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great! Off to an awesome start!!!! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited May 2013
    Options

Any triple or home-run is a winner-hell a single or double is quite tasty.  Congrats on a great result and you will (if not already) become your own worst critic...but enjoy the journey as it is fun and most times more fun with the supervisory adult beverages that are expected? by the BGE.  You obviously can't get that outcome without constant tweaking and supervision  And that's the story...

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Man I have got to try one of these.  Excellent looking cook.  
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $