Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babyback Rib help

Options
I have owned a BGE for about a year, during that time I have cooked babyback ribs numerous times.  After trying a couple different cooking methods I found a method that the family really enjoyed.  The last couple of rib cooks, utilizing the same method have not been that good.  Todays cook resulted in some of the ribs being very tender and good, other ribs in the same rack were very tough.  The ribs seemed to have more fat than I'm used to.  Some of the ribs wouldn't even come off the bone.  The only thing that changed is where I got the ribs, usually I get them at BJ's, because of a move I got these from Costco.  I thought it might be the ribs but it happened the last time that I got the ribs from BJ's.  So, I guess I have a couple of questions, what is the best way to cook babyback ribs, does fat need to be trimmed off them before cooking?  Any help is much appreciated.   

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    If they were tough they may not have been cooked long enough.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    How are you cooking them?
  • RavenEggHead
    Options
    I use the 3-1-1 method
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I do mine with a mustard bath, rub and 325 indirect till they pass the bend test, usually 3-4 hrs. And agree with granny on not cooked long enough. What is your cooking method?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options

325-350 dome temp , 1.5 hrs indirect bone side down, then 1 hr in foil with apple juice and honey (indirect), then remove from foil and baste with bbq sauce then put back on the grill for 30 to 40 more minutes (indirect).

.   Best baby backs ribs ive had!  I did use hickory chips and apple wood chunks for smoke and applied stubbs bbq dry rub about 2 hours before grilling. Never really had any luck with the 5 hour cooks around 250 and wont have to worry about trying it again either. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2013
    Options
    What was your dome temp? 

I do 3-1-1 a lot of times and found the dome temp needs to be 250 - 270. I did them at 225 once and they turned out a little tough and not as good. I saw on the forum that 225 was too low.

Johns Creek, Georgia