Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tri-Tip to 205?

Anyone ever done this?  Well, besides me earlier today?  LOL..

I wish I'd have taken a pic of it, but it's all bagged up now.. Anyways, I threw it on as my pork shoulder was finishing up this morning.. Just over 2 lbs and it cooked for about 3 hours.. I had rubbed it with some John Henry's East Texas Brisket rub.. The smoke ring and bark were fantastic.  And the meat, while a *little* dry, was excellent.  Sliced it thin and it was fork tender.  Almost like a tiny brisket flat.

Just thought I'd share an alternate method for cooking a tri tip.. Next time I might inject a little beef broth into it.
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
    edited May 2013
    Wow, never heard of that. You cooked it like a brisket...crazy. I cook mine more like a steak and the finishing temp is usually between 132-135.

Wish you would have snapped some pics!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,393
    Ive seen that, on one of the BBQ pit masters two of the guys did this, one sliced it and pulled it after grilling to around 200, I thought he was insane because on here everyone cooks it like a steak.  His turned out money.

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    I did that once after I was distracted during a tri tip cook and found my internal temp over 145 and rising. I like mine done at 130-135 and knew I wasn't going to be happy with it finishing around 150 so I let it go.

Here's how it looked: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I was suprised to find it had a decent amount of juiciness left (although hard to see in this pic): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It came out better than I would have expected and was definitely a different texture (felt a lot like a brisket flat) than my normal tri-tip. Although the outcome was better than I expected, I don't intend to cook it like this again as I like my tri tip med-rare to the low end of medium. I could see it being an option for those who prefer their beef cooked at least med-well or well done.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • bccomstockbccomstock Posts: 337
    That's pretty much exactly how mine came out.. 
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 8,599

That's interesting...there is a butcher near me that has a big smoker outside and they sell Q on the weekends.  I'm pretty sure they leave the fat cap on and cook it low and slow.  When I asked for advice on how to cook it they suggested fat side up, nice and slow for many hours.

The tri-tip they sell has a big ol fat cap on it and I trim it and cook it like a steak, but I have thought about leaving it on and cooking it slow n low and melting the cap and see how it turns out. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.