Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip to 205?

Options
Anyone ever done this?  Well, besides me earlier today?  LOL..

I wish I'd have taken a pic of it, but it's all bagged up now.. Anyways, I threw it on as my pork shoulder was finishing up this morning.. Just over 2 lbs and it cooked for about 3 hours.. I had rubbed it with some John Henry's East Texas Brisket rub.. The smoke ring and bark were fantastic.  And the meat, while a *little* dry, was excellent.  Sliced it thin and it was fork tender.  Almost like a tiny brisket flat.

Just thought I'd share an alternate method for cooking a tri tip.. Next time I might inject a little beef broth into it.
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Wow, never heard of that. You cooked it like a brisket...crazy. I cook mine more like a steak and the finishing temp is usually between 132-135.

Wish you would have snapped some pics!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Ive seen that, on one of the BBQ pit masters two of the guys did this, one sliced it and pulled it after grilling to around 200, I thought he was insane because on here everyone cooks it like a steak.  His turned out money.

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I did that once after I was distracted during a tri tip cook and found my internal temp over 145 and rising. I like mine done at 130-135 and knew I wasn't going to be happy with it finishing around 150 so I let it go.

Here's how it looked: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I was suprised to find it had a decent amount of juiciness left (although hard to see in this pic): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It came out better than I would have expected and was definitely a different texture (felt a lot like a brisket flat) than my normal tri-tip. Although the outcome was better than I expected, I don't intend to cook it like this again as I like my tri tip med-rare to the low end of medium. I could see it being an option for those who prefer their beef cooked at least med-well or well done.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    That's pretty much exactly how mine came out.. 
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

That's interesting...there is a butcher near me that has a big smoker outside and they sell Q on the weekends.  I'm pretty sure they leave the fat cap on and cook it low and slow.  When I asked for advice on how to cook it they suggested fat side up, nice and slow for many hours.

The tri-tip they sell has a big ol fat cap on it and I trim it and cook it like a steak, but I have thought about leaving it on and cooking it slow n low and melting the cap and see how it turns out. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.