Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Nuts" on the Egg

Options
billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum

Had some friends and neighbors over the other night for the best rib-eyes I've ever done, but that's another thread. Our neighbors brought some appetizers, one of which was some sweet and spicey nuts she did in the oven. She got the recipe off of the Food Network and the only thing I didn't like was that it was a recipe from Jill & Joe Biden. I know there can be a lot of comparisons between the Bidens and nuts, but let's not highjack the thread and go politcal. :-) I decided to try these on the egg and they are awesome! Use them as an appetizer, or a few pulses in the food processer and on top of a salad, or on top of ice cream for dessert. I didn't have the cashews it calls for, so I used pecans, pistachios and almonds. Give it a try with any nuts you like.

Ingredients

• 1 large egg white
  • 2 cups unsalted pecan halves
  • 2 cups unsalted roasted cashews
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the egg to 250 degrees F. Beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon water in a large bowl until foamy. Add the nuts, sugar, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well. Spread the mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until the nuts are mostly dry but still slightly sticky, about 40 minutes.

Remove the nuts from the egg and stir. Reduce the temperature to 200 degrees F. Return the nuts to the egg and bake until crisp, about 30 more minutes. Stir to loosen the nuts from the baking sheet; cool completely on the sheet. Smoked with a chunk of pecan

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I love hot spicy nuts... no really, I do.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Bookmarked. Use any smoke?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • billyray
    Options
    Pecan chunk
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    Sounds awesome and I will be trying this, thanks.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Thanks @billyray, will bookmark this - knowing this crowd I was expecting something about a Rocky Mountain Oyster cook.... just a little afraid to look...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    Options
    Thanks @billyray, will bookmark this - knowing this crowd I was expecting something about a Rocky Mountain Oyster cook.... just a little afraid to look...
    I was too !
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    billyray said:
    I was too !
    Nothing wrong with Rocky Mountain Oysters!

The roasted nuts look pretty good. Thanks for posting.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.