Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...what to do in Austin?

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
My wife and I will be here tonight and tomorrow. We ate at Black's earlier today. Incredible! Now we are trying to figure out what to do tonight and tomorrow night. We are fuddieduddies, so we aren't looking to party it up. But we still want to have a good time while we are here. Any suggestions? :)

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    where are you staying?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    We are at the holiday inn express...but have a rental car.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We are at the holiday inn express...but have a rental car.
    what part of town? do you like sushi and are you on a budget?
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Love sushi. We are in North Austin and don't mind spending a reasonable amount on good food. We were actually looking at a sushi place on urban spoon earlier.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited May 2013
    Options
    for the best meal of your life, go to Uchiko on N. Lamar., Warning- we spent $200 for the 2 of us last time we went.One of the best chef's in america-this is a special meal.he also owns Uchi which is his sushi place on S. Lamar (30 min max for you). Best sushi I've ever had (and I travel all over and eat at all the good spots) for a more reasonable option, Mikado is a great sushi place on 183 not far from you. Great food but nothing you can't get elsewhere. If you guys can muster it, I would do Uchi or Uchiko .................. other good options for casual stuff: North at The Domain (it's an upsacale outdoor mall) is awesome........... North By Northwest is a great brew pub with good food and my buddy makes all the beer............. Roaring Fork is an all wood grilled upscale place not far from you............. Trudy's on Burnet has good tex mex.................. any of that sound good? I can give you tons more. You are in a great spot for good food.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Are the bats there yet? If you haven't seen them before - you should do it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MisterM
    MisterM Posts: 17
    Options
    There's a Big Lebowski quote-along at the Alamo Drafthouse on slaughter tomorrow night.
    Large Big Green Egg w/ AR & Spider
    Smokin' butts and taking names.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    MisterM said:
    There's a Big Lebowski quote-along at the Alamo Drafthouse on slaughter tomorrow night.
    might be better than anything else you could do in Austin. This is a score
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips! We ended up hitting a food truck on Rainey Street and then went to see the bats at Town Lake. Had a great time! Taking a trip to Smitty's tomorrow. :)
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    So, which one was your favorite: Black's or Smitty's?
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    Options
    Tell me you went to Franklin BBQ? 

Smitty's fell off Texas Monthly's Best BBQ places BTW.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wish things would have worked out and we could have met up with you. We didn't hit one bbq place the whole weekend and believe me I tried. I did hear that you can pre-order food at Franklin's and skip the line. You have to order a minimum of 5lbs and pick it up by 10:35. Glad I could give you some suggestions on things to do in Austin. Oh, and on a side note, my brother went to Austin this weekend as well and went to Uchi and said it was amazing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @NeccesaryIndulg, we haven't gone to Smitty's yet, but will be going this afternoon. I'll letcha know! :)

@krames, we aren't able to go to Franklin this time since they are closed on Monday. I did eat at Franklin last year though, and you are right, it was great! I did hear that Smitty's fell off the list, but figured it would still be neat to go to such a historic restaurant, :) Plus, I feel the need to give it my own quality control review. ;)

@Griffin, sorry I forgot to give you credit for the ideas! I gave you credit on the other forum, but just realized I failed to do so here! Thanks a lot for your help yesterday!

I'll post up a bunch of pix when I get back home.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    OH!  and don't forget to stop by Gourdough’s for the Flying Pig! :x
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @NecessaryIndulg, that looks incredible! I wish I could have just one more day so I could have room to try it. LOL. Just found out though that my wife's aunt and uncle are treating us to Austin Land and Cattle Company tonight. =P~ The menu looks great and @Griffin just informed me that they are on some list for top steaks in Austin! I might die before making it back to SC! If I do, I'm leaving my BGE to @Chubbs. ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thanks for all the great tips! We ended up hitting a food truck on Rainey Street and then went to see the bats at Town Lake. Had a great time! Taking a trip to Smitty's tomorrow. :)
    The Mexican truck at Lustre Pearl? That's my fave down there. Sounds like you had a great Austin night which is what it's all about. Love rainey street. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Oh, and BTW, we thought Black's brisket was a tad better than Smitty's. But the atmosphere and experience was better at Smitty's. We are happy we got to try both! :D
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker, not too many trucks were open. We ate sliders at the Beef Cake Shop. :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    haven't eaten there yet. Garaj Mahal is right donw there and it's really good indian food out of a trailer. It has a permamnent structure but it's still a trailer.

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    @NecessaryIndulg, that looks incredible! I wish I could have just one more day so I could have room to try it. LOL. Just found out though that my wife's aunt and uncle are treating us to Austin Land and Cattle Company tonight. =P~ The menu looks great and @Griffin just informed me that they are on some list for top steaks in Austin! I might die before making it back to SC! If I do, I'm leaving my BGE to @Chubbs. ;)
    YUM!  I ate at Austin Land and Cattle Company last year... delish!

And I know what you mean, both of my visits to Austin were nonstop eating (& drinking) just to fit it all in . . . and it was so worth the pounds!
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    We thought about eating there, CTS, but my wife isn't fond of Indian food. So we kept it simple. :)
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @NecessaryIndulg, the way I see it is that I need to play lots and lots of golf when I get home...that way I can burn off all these calories. ;)

Smitty's was super cool. Here are a coupla teaser shots for now.

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Great pics!  Standing by that fire while waiting in line was *H O T* !

HERE are my pictures & writeup from my visit to Black's. 

I liked the food at both Black's & Smitty's (Black's more), but I think the guys were way friendlier, funnier, & sweeter at Black's... and I'm a sucker for that. ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    glad you guys enjoyed Blacks. It's the only one down there that can really be hit or miss. I remember the first time I went...best I've ever had. Went 2 more times and it was really middle of the road. didn't go for like 5 years then went again, really good. people that go down there a lot say the same thing. I don't love the brisket at Smitty's or Kruez (they cook them too fast for me). Black's can be as good as anybody's anywhere.....or not.