Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Booze or Brisket?

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
After a full day of booze and yardwork I decided I am going to throw a 12 lb packer on. Just got her rubbed down and in the fridge. Got a birthday dinner to attend to keep the booze flowing. Then, back later to start this thing up. Going to see who prevails. Booze or Brisket? Brisket is my weakest cook so trying it with some liquid courage. Stay tuned.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Practice makes perfect, every Brisket I do gets better. I already have the Booze thing figured out...
    Good Luck!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Trust Cen-Tex with this topic-I didn't check his suggested link (it may have referenced water melons) but practice makes perfect.  Gonna be a great ride-so pick your poison and enjoy.  And YES is the answer!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dude, I hope your egg is stabilised

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Update. Got home late and didn't start egg. Lit her this AM. Head is pounding but got to get her going. Drunkedly invited half the city over for Dinner tonight. Going to be an interesting cook. Might have to take part in the hair of the dog pronto. Brisket is rubbed with bad Byron's. went with cherry for smoke on this one because it wa the closest thing I could see. Be back later.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Red beer to stabilize your head. Stabilize the fire. One more red beer for good measure. 4 hour nap on a chaise lounge by the egg and you'll feel shiny and new.
  • i will be following this cook today. pools are fine, just stay away from rafts, watermelons, and @lakewade. good luck
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    After noon update. Been on about 7 hours. Stuck in stall at 172. Sitting on 255 grate temp. Headache is gone thanks to a few fat tire amber ales. Right back into groove. Hood smells amazing.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like a win!! Should be perfect timing for your last minute block party. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:

Sounds like a win!! Should be perfect timing for your last minute block party. Lol

On god. Forgot he invited half the town over. Nothing like being 6 beers in off a wicked hangover when the neighbors show up straight from church (don't ask me how I know).

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

cazzy said:

On god. Forgot he invited half the town over. Nothing like being 6 beers in off a wicked hangover when the neighbors show up straight from church (don't ask me how I know).

Neighbors: What a blessed day Mr. Cen-Tex!

Ct: Yep.. :burp:.. Praise Jebus!
  • cazzy said:

Neighbors: What a blessed day Mr. Cen-Tex!

Ct: Yep.. :burp:.. Praise Jebus!
    And then it got weird. We don't see those neighbors much anymore :).

• Chubbs
    Certainly has tendencies to get dangerous this afternoon. Might have to foil it to knock it through stall. I want to do burnt ends and worries I won't have time??
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    No foil!! [-O< What time are they coming over?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chubbs
    I have never foiled a long cook one time but I usually do my burnt ends 1.5 hours with rub and another hour with sauce. People (if anyone comes hahah) will be here at 7. Currently at 176. Bumped up to 270 grate temp. Seemed to do the trick.
  • Chubbs said:
    Certainly has tendencies to get dangerous this afternoon. Might have to foil it to knock it through stall. I want to do burnt ends and worries I won't have time??

The only difference between you and me right now is that I called everyone this morning and cancelled. I'll be eating well........in peace and quiet.
  • I think somebody is taking a nap right now............
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I will sometimes 'nap' after my fifth Woodford too...
  • I will sometimes 'nap' after my fifth Woodford too...

or 6th. no need to put a number on it.
  • Chubbs
    SWMBO told me to stop drinking and go shower. She wasn't amused when she got in shower afterwards and a beer can was in there. Told I needed to get my head right. Back to the egg... Got burnt ends going and flat is resting.
  • Chubbs said:
    SWMBO told me to stop drinking and go shower. She wasn't amused when she got in shower afterwards and a beer can was in there. Told I needed to get my head right. Back to the egg... Got burnt ends going and flat is resting.

all of this makes Centex happy.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2013
    @girl_on_grill is also pleased. We are dying laughing at casa centex today.Please do NOT stop drinking. I need this, Chubbs. You owe me (you may not but i's OK to pay upfront sometimes.You are 100% guaranteed I will repay you in the near future).
  • SMBO?
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • SMBO?

She Who Must be Obeyed
  • Chubbs
    Oh stopping the booze is not an option. I am proving to the wife that I CAN multi-task and that hammered cooking often times is more successful. At least for me.
  • Chubbs
    Like golf. I am golden once the swing oil kicks in
  • chubbs- she is a lucky woman. She may not know it tonight, but I have followed this pattern of behavior for quite some time and it has served her..........er me...........well. I can say, however, that I am a bit concerned with the "stop drinking and take a shower" comment. I have been down that road many times and it has never ended well. I usually do one and not the other (like you) and therein lies the rub.......good luck tonight. Keep us posted.
  • Chubbs
    She knows she has a better chance or stopping a car with her bare hand. She just wanted me presentable for company I guess.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Now this is a great thread-@Chubbs and @Cen-tex I can very much relate.  Can't wait for the outcome-It's all good but the clouds are rolling in :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.