Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE HELP!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my XL that I have been trying to get since March. Can anyone tell me how much BGE lump I should put in? How much for steaks? Low and slow? Suould I get a Guru? Pit Viper? Is the Wicked Good the lump I should get from now on? I see where I might be able to order it to ship to N. Alabama. I have wanted a BGE for along time and finally talked the wife into it. Now to prove reasons. I am a KCBS judge and have talked w/Ray a few times on the circuit and is the reason I waited for the XL. I have met Green eggs and Ham also. I will be at Eggtoberfest and can't wait to meet all of you elder eggheads LOL. Any help on how to set up for a long and slow and how to cook a Omaha 22 oz T-bone and other steaks would be appreciated. As you can tell This is my 1st posting and I know it won't be the last. I already have the egg forum afliction that Smokin in MO caught! I hope Nature Boy can help as I have seen his ribs for one picture. Salivating already! My wife just bought me a turkey to smoke; I think she's ready for the XL BGE to go into action! How do I smoke a turkey? WOW, this is overwhelming. What is the difference between the dome and grate temp? Do i need to up grade the temp gauge that came with the XL? HELP!!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    steaks_prepped.jpg
    <p />dblR,
    I'll answer a couple of your questions. Always use plenty of lump. It doesn't matter what you are cooking (well except for low temp cheese smoking) so fill it up pretty full. When you are done, shut down the vents, the fire will go out, and you'll have a mess of lump still available for your next cook.[p]As for steaks, here is a detailed writeup from Trex about using his method of doing steaks:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Trex Method For Steaks[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Virginian
    Options
    dblR,[p]I have had an XL for about 3 months now. Here are answers to some of your questions.
    1. Fill it with lump up to the firebox top or even half way up the fire ring. Once you are finished cooking close all vents (top and bottom) and you will have a lot of lump left for the next cook. If you fill it half way up the fire ring (the second piece of ceramic that goes on top of the fire ring) you can do a low and slow for 25-30 hours at 225. [p]2. If you do not have a plate setter, get one if you want to do slow indirect cooking.
    3. You do not need a guru but they are nice for long cooks. Make sure you get the XL fitting, which I think they just started producing.
    4. BGE lump is great, but so is Royal oak and a whole bunch of others. Go to the naked whiz' lump site and see the variety of good lumps there are.
    5. For the steak, try the Trex method. It is probably in the site recipes somewhere.
    6. Use an instant read thermometer to make sure you get the steacks off at the right time. about 130-135 for medium rare (I think), etc.
    7. Take deep breaths often. This is fun. Relax and enjoy. [p]Brett

• RocketMan
    Options
    dblR,[p]Tony at the Grilling Room in Florence has Wicked Good, Gurus, etc., etc....[p]- Andy
    [ul][li]http://www.grillingroom.com/[/ul]
  • dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I wish to thank you for the link on TRex steak cooking. That was an very valueable link. I have seen your postings and will be in contact in the future. Thank you for everything you have done for us "newbies". The BGE Forum is fantatic. I really enjoy your web site. Are there ant specific Lawnranger tools I need to order for the XL?

• dblR
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Thank you for the help. I really needed advice from someone who had the XL.It is an awesome looking EGG! Would you agree? Have you cooked anything w/the grill extender or have you made your own stacker? Does it hold temp like the L? Do you worry about the dome/grate temp difference? So many questions! So much to cook/smoke!! Thanks again.

• dblR
    Options
    Rocketman,
    Thank you for the information. I will be in touch with them. Thanks for helping this "newbie".

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    dblR,[p]Be a little careful if you get your XL up to high temps. It gets very hot and it's hard to get near it, or your steak. Cook a couple chickens to get started. Cook them at a reasonable temp and get the feel of things.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    dblR, I have cooked with the grill extender and it does fine. One thing is that the XL has a LOT of grill space. So if you're using it all, you need to be able to spread your fire out so that it covers it evenly. I have found it takes more lump (naturally) for short hot cooks but holds temperatures and burns lump efficently as well as the large. My 24 hour cook had enough lump left to go another 6 hours at least. I have not worried about the differential between the dome and the grill but should measure that to get a feel for it at some time.

• dblR
    Options
    drbbq,
    Thank you for your help. I have talked w/you a few times on the circuit; mainly Huntsville. Because of our talk in HSV I waited 4the XL. I tried to e-mail you by your website but it was returned. I ordered your cookbook. Should I cook all of these recipes just like the L BGE? Will you be at Riverfest in Decatur?[p]Ralph Chambers
    Madison, AL

• dblR
    Options
    Wise One,
    Thank you for answering my call for advice. I really need to show off for the wife. Like everything it will take time and plenty of lump burning! Just trying not to ruin great meat to much at first.[p]Ralph Chambers