Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need appetizer and side recipes please

Options
I'll have a few family members coming to visit in 2 weeks. I know how to do basic jalepeno poppers. I'm looking for ideas for sides and apps, tried and true. I will be serving brisket, pulled pork, lemon crumb cake from Feb Southern Living. You should try that recipe, it's AWESOME!
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    make some homemade cole slaw  (Southern cream-style) 

finely shredded cabbage
    (carrots if you like...)
    mayo (real not faux)
    red-wine vinegar
    sugar
    celery seed.

How much will depend on the amount of cabbage.  Some people add horseradish, however I am not a fan... 

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Corn and Blueberry Salad 12345 Loved It? ingredients 6 fresh sweet corn, husked 1 cup  fresh blueberries 1 cucumber, sliced 1/4 cup  finely chopped red onion 1/4 cup  chopped fresh cilantro 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped* 2 tablespoons  lime juice 2 tablespoons  olive oil 1 tablespoon  honey 1/2 teaspoon  ground cumin directions 1. In Dutch oven bring salted water to boiling. Add corn. Cook, covered, 5 minutes, or until tender. When cool enough to handle, cut corn from cobs. 2. In a serving bowl combine corn, blueberries, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. For dressing, in screw-top jar combine lime juice, oil, honey, cumin, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover; shake well to combine. Add to salad; toss. Cover and refrigerate overnight (up to 24 hours). Makes 6 to 8 servings. I've made this salad several times and it's always a hit. Have also used canned corn too.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    buffalo wings and gorganzola slaw
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    I highly recommend Mac and Cheese on the egg.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    Options
    Got any vegetarians coming?

Grilled Corn Salsa
    4 ears of sweet corn, shucked
    Extra virgin olive oil
    1 large clove garlic
    2 ripe Hass avocado, roughly chopped
    1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
    6 green onions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
    ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Lightly brush or spray the corn with oil. Grill direct until browned in spots and tender, about 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Allow to cool. Cut the kernels off the cobs and place in a medium bowl. Scrape the cob with the back of a knife to release the milky juices. In a food processor, puree half the kernels, all of the milky juices, and the garlic, and then transfer the mixture back to the bowl with the remaining corn kernels. Add the rest of the salsa ingredients. Stir to combine.

Vegans love it for some reason. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Options
    YUM! great ideas will try...I can do 1 or 2 of these with the burgers the first night. Thanks so much...I just felt a little non-creative here lately...keep the ideas coming. You guys are the best!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA