Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vent settings

Options
Last night I loaded my firebox with WGWW to just above the firebox level.. Lit it in one spot in the middle and let it get close to 225 and then closed down the bottom vent to about 1/2 inch visible gap.. Left the daisy wheel petals completely open.. I thought it had stabilized, but before going to bed it had crept up to 275, so I closed the petals down about halfway, maybe slightly more.  At 7 this morning, the dome was at 205 or so.. 

Does anyone have a pic of what the vents should look like to get 225 or 250?  I realize that the Egg wants to settle in higher than that typically, but I'd like to nail 225 for overnights at some point.. 
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2013
    Options
    it really all depends on ambient temp, humidity, and fuel source and tons of other things too (like is your egg under a covered patio in the summer or in direct sunlight. I come out in august and my dome is at 120. also, some lump burns a little hotter than others. Lot of variables so you are just going to have to play with it. Know that your settings in January are going to differ from your settings in August.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I was having issues with keeping a steady dome temp through out the night. I bought a DigiQ... Set it and forget it! Ive had no issues holding 230, 240, 250 etc over night.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks y'all.. It'll just take some more time.. I'm sure it can be done b/c I've done it before, but that must've just been beginners luck.. :)
    LBGE
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    I was having issues with keeping a steady dome temp through out the night. I bought a DigiQ... Set it and forget it! Ive had no issues holding 230, 240, 250 etc over night.
    I've thought about getting one of those.. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'd like to master controlling it on my own before having the DigiQ do it.
    LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    do yourself a favor and learn to do it without electronics first. those things are cool but learn to do it manually and you will be a better egger when/if you decide to get one I've thought about getting one of those.. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'd like to master controlling it on my own before having the DigiQ do it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

As other have mentioned, there are a lot of factors......outside air temp, humidity, rain, juices from the meat dripping on the fire, charcoal settling and snuffing out the fire, etc.  If I'm not running a temp controller, I usually have to open the vents as time goes on.  Initially, they're only open enough to fit a match stick through either; but after 16-18 hrs, I have to open them enough to fit a pencil through either.

After 20 yrs of BGE'ing, I know my Eggs and their vent settings well enough to know I need/want a temp controller.  If I'm available/willing to check the temps every hour or so, then no problem; however, if I want to leave or go to sleep, a temp controller is needed

I'm a dealer for the iQue110 and have been using one ever since it came out.  It's half the price of the other ones and is simply a "set it and forget it."  It doesn't have WiFi or any other fancy features, just a temp controller--which is all I need.  Email me if you would like to talk more about them.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Always better to have a lower than desired temp on low and slows. 205 for a want to have 225 is close enough for me.... My MBGE likes a nice 240 as the most stable temp. Seems to hold it forever.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!